Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Dog Kennel project help

I am thinking about building a few dog kennels. They are going to be 6' X 16' and 6' high. I would like to build 6' and 16' panels and hinge them in the corners. I am planning to build them out of 1" square tubing (11ga) and 2" X 4" welded wire horse/cattle panels. Does anyone here have any suggestions or pictures of something similar you have built? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nitrex

drop in pin's might be a better idea.
    welcome to the site, be shore to take pic's for us.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I should have clarified, I am planning to use drop pins in the corners. I haven't seen too many of these kennels, so I was hoping to get any suggestions or pics. I've searched the internet for pics and help, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Nitrex

It's time to begin! Any suggestions would still be appreciated!!

Nitrex

All I have every seen the were made of 1'' square tubing and chain link fence welded to the tubing. and the latches were made of 1/2'' round bR.

I say live in a 6'x16' run for a week or so and see how you like it. You may change your mind on a suitable size.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    my kennel has 2x2 x1/4 tabs with 3/4 hole...pannels are connected with bolt...decking for the roof...made mine from 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle,better to hide welds on mesh...tabs over lap at coners,bolt them up...put panel on flat surface and work 2x4 with same inside dim as panel while tacking mesh to keep the mesh tight[kneel on 2x4 while tacking]...put cross member across width to hang light from,make night feedings easier....cut rings of pipe to tack along outside of panel to fish extension cord thru...6x16 kennel pretty god for a dog...for those who have a problem with enclosures for dogs...the real men have hunting ,hog,bird,sled,hearding,guard,etc....put the ****zu down and get out of the house....
    If you spell it as Shih Tzu, it might not get edited.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Play nice, kids.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Quote Originally Posted by nitrex View Post
    I should have clarified, I am planning to use drop pins in the corners. I haven't seen too many of these kennels, so I was hoping to get any suggestions or pics. I've searched the internet for pics and help, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Nitrex
    Personaly I like to put thier houses on the outside of the kennel and fasten it down that gives them that much more room. I made mine out of 1-1/4 pipe, used stock paneling for the sides as for hindges 1/2 pipe and 1/2 round rod they have held up pretty well. Sorry i'd take some pics but my digital cameras broke.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrex View Post
    I am thinking about building a few dog kennels. They are going to be 6' X 16' and 6' high. I would like to build 6' and 16' panels and hinge them in the corners. I am planning to build them out of 1" square tubing (11ga) and 2" X 4" welded wire horse/cattle panels. Does anyone here have any suggestions or pictures of something similar you have built? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nitrex

Nitrex,
    Several years ago I built exactly what you are talking about. I used 16'x6' horse panels that can be purchased at any farm/ranch store. I boxed the panels in with 1x1 square tube and added the extra foot to the top with 1x1x1/8 angle to make six foot tall. I purchased three panels and used two for each side and cut the other in half to use for each end, resulting in a 16'x8'x6' kennel. The hardest part (not bad) was the door. Just make sure it is good and square before welding. I did the corner connections just as you describe (pins). The only draw back was, as you can imagine, it was heavy as he!!. LOL

I am sorry but I have no pic's and have since sold it to a friend and replaced it with a Priefert kennel. I have six 10'x6' panels (one with door) that are powder coated, light weight and easy to set up and take down if necessary. This gives him a 20'x10'x6' kennel area.

You do not mention what kind of dog you are kenneling up. 16'x6'x6' may seem small for a lab, but it is dang sure better than chaining them up. Letting them run free is risky due to the possibility of a valuable hunting dog being run over, or having to face the music for something it did while on the run. Just make sure to provide adequate exercise time in the field.

jrw159