Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

monte55, you said it all. I have nothing to add other than "I second your ideas". Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I'm Monte55....................and I approve this message
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

i like montes idea, i think it would be cool to have step by step directions so if i like it i can build one too. Like the plans for the welding table. but on time it shouldnt take to long, but just keep in mind not everyone works as fast as others or just takes a long route to do the same thing.

Yep I agree with your ideas Monte55

Inferno Forge

Chris

Monte has put in a lot of thought into this, and I agree with all except I think this should be a weldment....no additional wires, switches, etc. Just raw materials made into something useful. Things you can do with Miller equipment, and normal tools. Or you could add skill level to the categories...those who are novice folks know who they are, and pro's know who they are, so I think separate categories would be interesting...or not. This is just so difficult to make a level playing field, it boggles the mind! Anyway Miller has always been fair and I'm sure the committee will arrive at the right decision.

Woo Hoo Blue! (a new catch phrase, maybe)
    Arcin' and Sparkin', Rocky D

"Experience is the name we give our mistakes"

I like the way Miller did it last year. Let us decide from their top 10 picks in each category. I think giving a grand prize in each category is great, who would'nt?
    I like Montes ideas for categories. Let's keep it simple please.
    The problem with making skill levels is the PRO'S could easily enter into the rookie catagory and who would know.
    Let's just use the 4 or so categories. I think everyone here can find something to build amongst them.

I agree 100% with you!! this is I hope the get new or NON-Weldors interested. NOT to see what a full fabrication shop can produce??
    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i gotta agree with tool's excluded from the game. if
    its a hobby or entry level contest a CNC table should be out. hand cutting with a plasma cutter or torch would be ok as lots have them now with prices coming down.
    a little closer look at the times allowed would be good also.
    limiting the $ spent is as Harvuskong said, a bit ruff to call.
    maybe let the members vote on project winers also, its cool to be in the process.

looking forward to another fun contest. thanks
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!
    I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
    Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
    Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
    Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

I like the giving every one some thing even a Miller Pen Or whay would be cooler would be a small sticker for our tool boxes or helmets?? With maybe the Contest year and miller logo. We could collect them??

Quote Originally Posted by Amangii View Post
    My 2 cents. First, I am definately an amature welder... MM135. I do a good job but I don't compare myself to folks who weld as a profession. I have entered the 2 contests with projects I have made for my home. I have yet to win anything but I am curious.... I have seen projects better than mine not win anything and projects a lot simplier than mine win....so I'm confused as to what constitutes a winning project. Perhaps we all vote.
    My point is have 5 or 6 very specific categories (ART, TOOLS, GARDEN, COOKING, HOME INTERIOR) Less than $100 retail steel cost...less than 10 hours.... and an "OPEN/UNLIMITED" category for as much time or money as you are goofy enough to spend. Poll everyone for category names if you like.
    As far as prizes, award the top projects in each category similar to what you have before. (if you want amatures to compete then award the 110V units, for the OPEN category award a higher unit) 2nd place gets a hood. Below that, award a couple of places below with something us little guys would appreciate, flap discs, wire, consumables....or a voucher to purchase them would be great.

For all entries give them some safety gear for trying (glasses or gloves or a cap... based on random draw). To promote shop safety....
    BRAVO BLUE....thanks for the opportunity to post my opinion.
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!
    I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
    Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
    Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
    Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

I am new here and interested in this challenge. Is there a thread from last years challenge somewhere because I would like to see what some of the creations were. Thanks Batman

most of them ended up in the projects or idea gallerys.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/interests/projects/
    lots of way cool stuff in there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES