Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Upcoming Project Challenge

Miller’s Power Click Welding Project Challenge kicks off March 19 and the planning committee meets very soon to determine the details!

Now’s your chance to provide thoughts and ideas on how Miller can make it better than ever. Post your opinions on judging criteria, categories, skill level, time to complete the project, materials, prizes and other stuff they haven’t even thought of yet. All postings will be reviewed and considered by the committee before they determine the final program.

Note: This Challenge is exclusive to Miller's e-Newsletter, Power Click. So if you are not a subscriber and would like to be a part of the Welding Project Challenge, sign up now!

Thank you and we look forward to hearing your ideas!

a feel that a participant should at least have two photos. one in the middle of completion to show that it is an actual project being constructed,since anyone can take a picture of someone elses work.and the other of the completed project with written details of material,measurements and welding process.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Fabricator: They could take that pic too, if they wanted to go to the trouble.

I signed up for the newsletter, where can I find out more about the contest?

Thanks,

James

I think you need to define the tools allowed to be used - or have different catagories for different tools used. Some of us own a welder, a grinder, a vise and a BFH. Others have a CAD driven Plasma table. I wouldn't want to prevent anyone from using all their gear, but at the same time it would be best if projects were judged against other entries made with similar equipment.

It might be a good idea to group projects roughly by cost or time required for the same reason. Under $100 and 4 hours versus $1000 and 40 hours.

On a different note - If you plan a series of these contests - you might want to focus each contest on a particular area. Say shop tools one time, artwork another, indoor and outdoor furniture, toys and trailers, kids stuff, etc. Would encourage some creative thinking and would also make judging a little simpler.

Just ideas. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    I think you need to define the tools allowed to be used - or have different catagories for different tools used. Some of us own a welder, a grinder, a vise and a BFH. Others have a CAD driven Plasma table. I wouldn't want to prevent anyone from using all their gear, but at the same time it would be best if projects were judged against other entries made with similar equipment..
    Very good idea as long as they are honest in stating what equipment they used. But regardless, you have an very good idea there that is worth using.

It might be a good idea to group projects roughly by cost or time required for the same reason. Under $100 and 4 hours versus $1000 and 40 hours..
    Time required is not a problem, but cost is.

Why?? New vs used or freebie scrap. Some of us are fairly good at horsetrading to get the material we need at little to no cost. And there is the variables in costs from what the local markets charge of a piece of steel, rods, wire and etc.

On a different note - If you plan a series of these contests - you might want to focus each contest on a particular area. Say shop tools one time, artwork another, indoor and outdoor furniture, toys and trailers, kids stuff, etc. Would encourage some creative thinking and would also make judging a little simpler.

Just ideas. Looking forward to it.
    Might be okay that way. But I think it makes the contest a bit too narrow in focus and could result in fewer people entering the contest.

But it is a good suggestion/idea anyway. Got any more???

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    Fabricator: They could take that pic too, if they wanted to go to the trouble.

I signed up for the newsletter, where can I find out more about the contest?

Thanks,

James
    James, there is not information about this years contest yet. This is why we are asking for your feedback so we can put together a contest with your suggestions in mind.

i gotta agree with tool's excluded from the game. if its a hobby or entry level contest a CNC table should be out. hand cutting with a plasma cutter or torch would be ok as lots have them now with prices coming down.
    a little closer look at the times allowed would be good also.
    limiting the $ spent is as Harvuskong said, a bit ruff to call.
    maybe let the members vote on project winers also, its cool to be in the process.

looking forward to another fun contest. thanks
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

If you put restrictions on tools you'll just have a mess.

The fact is, there are artisans who can make awesome stuff with very few tools.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen that web site with the vw bus being rebuilt south of the border with basically a torch and wooden forms, but that stuff is amazing.

And you can probably do anything a cnc plasma table can do, by hand. Yea, it would take forever and probably drive most of us crazy, but it is possible.

As a catergory, I like shop tools and equipment.

-James

One more idea - I think part of the benefit of a contest like this is to promote the "sport" of welding and to give others ideas. Make it a condition of entry that there be some kind of description of the build process submitted along with the entry to be shared with other members of the board. It could be as simple as a few pictures during construction, or a few steps written out - but enough that a viewer (reader?) could copy the idea and make their own if interested. Obviously the "plans" wouldn't be posted until the contest closed. I think it could be a great source of material for the projects board.

Back to the $$ question - I agree that $$ are hard to measure as we all scrounge materials. I was trying to make it so there was less advantage to those with deeper pockets. Maybe hours invested is enough.

wile its true you can do by hand most of what is done on a CNC table,(maybe all) but not in a contest with limited time.
    i just don't think its a project if you just punch in a design and weld some legs on it. if you take the time to copy out the design on the metal and cut it by hand, its a project. i think you should have to use your hands to make it. its kinda like making a light bar for a dune buggy and submitting the dun buggy as the project.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES