Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile CP-300 powers up and feeds wire but no juice at work piece.

I bought a CP-300 at an auction and when I hooked it up sometimes you could hear a chattering sound in the feeder like some kind of solenoid or something. It would feed wire but when the wire hits the work piece there is no juice. My particular machine is set up for 460 or 575 I believe and I have it wire into a Square D step down transformer in reverse. The power from the meter is going into the output of the transformer at (230v) with the input putting out 460v. I was told that this would work just fine but thought it would be worth mentioning incase someone could help me analyze the problem. I really need to be using the machine and would greatly appreciate any help whatso ever. THANKS, turnNburn1x.

Not exactly sure what your trying to do, though you do realize that the cp300 is a 3 phase machine only don't ya??

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Not exactly sure what your trying to do, though you do realize that the cp300 is a 3 phase machine only don't ya??
    Yeah, I have 3phase but if I remember correctly it's 120/120/208 or commonly called 208 highleg thats why I had to get a transformer, floor model instead of stepping down I wired it in reverse to step it up. The wire feeder works but I'm not getting any output at the gun/stinger.

shoot me the serial # for the correct diagrams

I'd jump the contactor control on the power source and see if that puts welding power to the feeder. We had a bad cable on our CP-300 that was intermittent and the contactor in the power source would sometimes chatter or not work. If that happens, no welding power to feeder.
    Last edited by 1930case; 05-08-2011 at 09:30 PM.

shoot me the serial # for the correct diagrams
    Miller CP-300: JH187979, she's an oldie but goodie! (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by 1930case View Post
    I'd jump the contactor control on the power source and see if that puts welding power to the feeder. We had a bad cable on our CP-300 that was intermittent and the contactor in the power source would sometimes chatter or not work. If that happens, no welding power to feeder.
    That sounds like a good possibility and worth checking out. My machine is back at my dad's pole barn because I've recently moved to another town about 40mi away but I will be there this comming weekend and will definatly give it a shot thanks a million guy!!!

Can't just jumper it, you have to apply 120Vac to the 2 prong contactor plug.

Default Delay

Can't just jumper it, you have to apply 120Vac to the 2 prong contactor plug.
    Hey guy, sorry for the delay on answering back. I have been pre-occupied with getting set up with my new home (new to me) and clearing and cosmetic work on the yard and so on. I still haven't gotten all my equipment here and will hopefully have it all transported here in about another month. I don't see any way to get 3-phase at my location so I guess I'm stuck with the CP-300. Right now the only possibility of having access to a wire welder is to see if I can atleast use the wire feeder with my portable Lincoln 250 Ranger GTX. It is CC/CV equipped. I know this wouldn't be long term solution, but a way to get by in a pinch, until I can afford to purchase a new wire welder that will run on 220v.

The plug on the ranger is only for a remote control.
    This welder was designed to use an across the arc feeder like the LN-25 or LN-15.
    You might be able to clean and repair the contactor. some times they get dirt on the moving iron surfaces and don't mate up right and they buzz.
    Before removing contactor make all wires where they go. put one one in the wrong place and the contactor will have a melt down.
    You can take the contactor apart and clean and wire brush the moving iron and the magnet core. Its worth a try unless the contacts in the contactor are all ready burnt up. You should be able to change the power straps so your welder will run on 230 volts 3 phase. What does your data plate say about usable line voltages?
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma