Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

you better be fast walking the cup if you're welding hot, or the pipe is going to be black instead of gold.
    i wouldn't thing you could walk the cup on SS due to its need for longer gas coverage wile it cools. its definitely not some thing i would expect to be learned in a week's time if it could be done. i'm fairly new to TIG but have gotten better results with higher gas flows with SS. walking the cup seems like it would reduce the time coverd by gas ?? never tried it and i'm shore some one with years experience could do it or explain how it gets enough gas coverage ?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Smile

James you can walk the cup on stainless as we used to weld 20 inch pipe 3 inches thick and we used a gas lense with the argon flow at 20 and did this to put the root in and 3 filler passes so the gold track machine could take over. The root was not open butt, it had a consumbile insert also known as an EB ring.

Thanks
    Wheelchair

so did you pass of fail?

-Ryan

Default i passed, i passed, i passed!!!

hello all.
    sorry no speak for ages. nvr got a chance to get to a comp while at the job.
    i hav to tell u all the great news.
    im a bit rushed just now but will tell u the basics.
    i went away a mig welder and ive come back a mig, mma and tig welder. so glad i took the chance and went down. they are delighted to hav a girl working for them and i am so happy to be there. everything is just absolutely ace!! im so happy and so lucky to hav this opportunity. will speak to u all soon. its been an emotional couple of months but well worth all the effort.
    take care and i will speak soon ok. xxxx

My congrats go to you. Glad to hear you passed.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

lorraine,
    shocked I didn't notice this thread earlier!!!! I'm SOOO happy that you passed, shows what determination and skill can do for you!!! But as you will find out, like Engloid had said, not every one will be that nice! When you do it in the field, it will be MUCH different!!! But now we know you can do it!!!
    Thanks for keeping us informed, and can't wait to hear from you soon!!!
    Oh! and PICTURES!!! PICTURES!!! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default good morning all.

hows it going everybody.

like i said before, sorry for not being in contact until now.
    i was on a british website called ukwelder.com as well as this one before i left to go for the test,( look at help needed urgently) asking for help and a guy half way to the job said to stop in for a few hours more practice at his work which i did. was very good of him and he helped me alot.
    when i arrived at the job they said i was doing a mma 6" 6g instead of the 2" stainless. i nearly fainted cos ive nvr done a stick test in my life either!! if i was told before i wld of got some practice in.
    anyway, i miraculously passed it and was on the job welding pipe supports for a few weeks. if we got rained or winded off the lng tanks i asked my gaffer if i could go and weld in there little workshop jst to get more practice instead of standing about doing nothing. he was delighted with that and all my keeness to learn new things and also to do a tig test. they have heavy wall 30" pipe there too thats to be mig welded. i also asked for a test for that as that is my comfort zone. mig was all i knew before i went there. might still get a test but wel see.
    about 2 weeks ago i got a tig test. it was 2" carbon pipe welded with stainless wire. so im now coded for both as i passed it. totally over the moon.
    did my first production butt the other day which was a 4" stainless pipe. my confidence is growing as that passed too. im a long way from being a great tig welder but i know i will get there as im so keen. my advice to all after my experience is dont be shy. and grab a good opportunity with both hands. it is scary and might not work out, but ul never know unless u try. this just the start for me. im away from the shipyards now and if i keep my nose clean ive been told i will go far as my company are all for training up young ones.
    ive got to be the happiest welder alive. couldnt of made it without all the help and support along the way tho. so a big thankyou to all who helped me get through this.it will never be forgotten.

even if i failed and had to go back home id be proud of myself just for taking the chance. i learned alot just from that experience alone of doing the stick test.

well take care all and i will speak soon.

thanx again x x x

Default girly welder

way to go girl

congrats
    Millermatic 212
    3035 Spool gun
    Miller Spectrum 375

good for you
    i would have offered information if i had read this sooner
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

GIRLY_Welder IS THE MAN!!!! A "girly man," but that's ok!!!!!
    Congrats on movin up the foodchain so fast
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time