Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There could be several factors as to why the previous owner didnt have problems or the other way around. Even minor differences between breakers. How sturdy the service is, wire size, etc could have difference especially when the supply is so marginal anyway. As you said, the machine is meant to last you a lifetime, it would likely be worth the effort to insure the wiring is adequate vs limping it along. Get a number 6 wire and be good to go.

I believe removing the pfc adds to the demand????

PFC adds to the draw while at idle & lowers the draw while in use (as opposed to non PFC). Without it the draw at idle goes way down but during use it goes up. I believe with PFC you can use a 70 amp breaker. I have heard of people running these on 50 ampers & only using them at low amps. Maybe the PFC setup is pulling more than supposed to for some reason? Best to meter it while running to get an idea as to what it is pulling at idle & under load. Also check all your connections.
    Last edited by MMW; 07-25-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Just looked at the owners manual & it says with PFC it draws 49 amps at idle.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I just called the tech support hotline and cannot believe just how helpful they were. I removed the PFC for now. I'm interested in adding fan on demand. My machine a few years before it came out, and the conversion kit was discontinued in 2005.

Just be aware that without the PFC it will draw more amps when welding than with the PFC. You can look up the owners manual on here & it tells you the specs.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

You'd pretty much have to use the welder continous for the PFC to have any benifit. In a garage enviroment, using the machine for say an hour actually uses more power as your charging then discharging the caps every time you shut it off.

PFC was the problem. The miller people are great. Let the machine idle for over an hour today. TIG'd steel, stick welded at 150 dcen and dcep, and ran around 6 feet of bead on 3/16" Aluminum at 175 amp max with no problems whatsoever.

Default PFC and Breakers

So to correct your breaker blowing problem, did you disconnect the PFC or replace the capacitors? I have a Dialarc 250P AC/DC and wonder if I disconnect the wiring to the PFC (to reduce idle amperage) if that would cause any other problems.

The other day while at idle it blew its 40 amp breaker and also the 100 amp main breaker. After I reset the two breakers it welded fine. Last night I pulled the welder's panel and checked all connections (all were tight). I put an ammeter on the input leads and they drew 24 amps (normal at 230 VAC) at idle. I ran it for a long time and everything checked out fine. Would a defective capacitor cause intermittent problems?

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I'm an electrician, not an electrical engineer. I'm guessing here. Purely speculation.
    As a capacitor is an electrical cousin to a trampoline, each half cycle one side is receiving current while the other is bouncing it back. While the power meter reads little, plenty of current is seen at the breaker. Service drop, or lateral, service cables feeder cables, and circuit conductors need to be adequately sized per NAEC 630.11(A). with different factors according to duty cycle. Present code allows the use of 200% breaker sizing. Once it was 300%! In my area it is unusual to see utility transformers sized larger than 25 KW or 104 amps. Transformers are considered capable of 37% overload for short periods. Be tactful if you request an upgrade, In VT utilities have the authority to deny power for welders in residential areas.
    Our liberal legislature 80% immigrants from other states, discourages anything that smells like freedom or individuality. Liberal government is about conformity. Some knucklehead welding up a housing for his own atomic bomb, or reinventing the furnace is to be restricted or at least taxed.
    Last edited by Willie B; 04-08-2014 at 06:43 PM.