Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hitch plate for a dump truck

Hey everybody, I am in need of some pro advice. I need to put a 3/4 to 1" hitch plate on my dump truck so I can mount a pintel hitch and need some help. Any one out there know if my Millermatic 211 will do the job as long as I bevel the edges and make a root pass and a couple more to fill the rest of the weld area?

Also I need some advice about the design so I do it right. Any help will be appreciated.

I will post some pictures to show you all what I am trying to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rpberchtold; 07-23-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Misspelling

This isn't the project you want to learn on

Just buy one that slides in the receiver

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball...tle_Hitch.aspx
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Advice for a Novice

Quote Originally Posted by rpberchtold View Post
    Hey everybody, I am in need of some pro advice. I need to put a 3/4 to 1" hitch plate on my dump truck so I can mount a pintel hitch and need some help. Any one out there know if my Millermatic 211 will do the job as long as I bevel the edges and make a root pass and a couple more to fill the rest of the weld area?

Also I need some advice about the design so I do it right. Any help will be appreciated.

I will post some pictures to show you all what I am trying to do.
    This is a good one. Only difference, we've stepped up to a MM 211, instead of a MM 140.

If you drive this 10-wheeler, for a living, that means you have at least a Class-B CDL. Asking questions of this nature, makes me wonder how you got your license.

Familiarizing yourself with DOT/FHWA sec 393.70, would give you the overview as to what is required to tow a trailer SAFELY.

Specifications, regarding size and GVW of trailer were never mentioned in your post, so I would be the most leary following you down the road.

As Broc mentioned, there are APPROVED mounts available on the market, meeting DOT specs.

The maximum standard "pin hitch" is 14,000 lbs. I know this because I have put a lot of hitches on single axle dumps I can barely find hitches for it.

IMO this is not a mig project. This is a stick job that needs to be done right. I have put several hitches on dump trucks and since you suggest putting a 3/4"+ plate on, i will take that as you are not experienced to hitches.

How much weight do you expect to put on the hitch?
    Pintle or ball?

Remember that if your weld breaks, who will be behind you that the trailer could crash into?

I'm sure glad you included a picture. If I ever see this truck on the road I'll be a long way from it in a very short time. I love my 211 but also know it's limitations.

Default Not helpful at all!

I really can't believe the response's I've gotten so far. If all you can do is criticize please don't. I need some advice from some one who has experience, not some one who knows less than me. So far the only thing I have learned is a Millermatic 211 is not up to the task so I will use my stick welder, now lets move on.
    The plate is to attach the pintle hook to with the supplied bolts after the pintle hook plate has been welded to the frame. The weight being trailered will be around 19000 lbs with the combined weight of the trailer total around 30,000 lbs. The reason I even asked about the 211 was I prefer to use it when I can and a lot of the welding required to complete this project will be out of position, but for the purpose of the rest of this discussion lets all assume I will be using a stick machine. Now what else would be helpful for you all to know so you can help?
    The reason I am asking is unlike some that have responded, I don't know it all.

You not only don't "know it all".

YOU DON'T KNOW ENOUGH TO EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS PROJECT YOURSELF.

Hire a qualified welder to do the job. Even you admitted that a lot of the welding will be out of position. Get someone that does it on a regular basis.

Oh, and I DO know what I'm talking about. Other posters were trying to be polite. That's not my modus operandi. You're in "over your head" on this one. A qualified welder would not need to ask if a 200A mig welder would do the job. He'd know it's not up to the task.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by rpberchtold View Post
    I really can't believe the response's I've gotten so far. If all you can do is criticize please don't. I need some advice from some one who has experience, not some one who knows less than me. So far the only thing I have learned is a Millermatic 211 is not up to the task so I will use my stick welder, now lets move on.
    The plate is to attach the pintle hook to with the supplied bolts after the pintle hook plate has been welded to the frame. The weight being trailered will be around 19000 lbs with the combined weight of the trailer total around 30,000 lbs. The reason I even asked about the 211 was I prefer to use it when I can and a lot of the welding required to complete this project will be out of position, but for the purpose of the rest of this discussion lets all assume I will be using a stick machine. Now what else would be helpful for you all to know so you can help?
    The reason I am asking is unlike some that have responded, I don't know it all.
    It looks like you got lots of helpful replies.

The fact that you intend to pull 30,000 lbs, that you want to weld with your little short circuit wire welder, put up red flags in every other persons reply. Oh, that's right you have a stick welder.

You have the potential to kill innocent people if anything is overlooked or done
    poorly.

Think long and hard about that, you could KILL people...!...

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

I think this is a record. Post number two and he is already pissed off and screaming. I'd be even more impressed if in post #2 he were pissed and screaming at Sundown!
    They are right, you are not up to the task on this one. Seek pro help. Sometimes ya just gotta pay to play.

I own Dump Trucks and wouldn't even consider this. I only work on the equipment that will not injure somebody else or property only myself or my own stuff my loss not somebody else.