Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default The growing weld

I did a search and could not find anything so here is my question....
    I just bought a MM180 with auto set and love the thing, when i weld it will be fine but right at the end of the weld it starts to grow like some kind of mutant weld. When i grind the "mutant" weld its hollow inside so its kinda like a bubble.

All my metal is clean new metal, its not rusty or oily or anything...
    Thanks for any info everyone.
    Ken

oxygen contamination. could be wrong gun angle,not enough sheilding gas,too far out with nozzle.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Default What do you do?

When finishing your weld do you simply stop or do you back weave? If your bead run is good than your settings are probably good.
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

back weave? sorry i dont know what that is. and yes when i come to the end of my weld i do just stop. should i turn the gas up? im running at bout 20.
    ken

Default Are you talking Mig !!

If you don't keep the Mig bead moving when you stop there is a mutant bubble.

Arrow back'em up

back weave: when you get to the end of the bead, don't quit. Reverse direction and weld back over your bead about 1/2".
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.