Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hitch reciever tubing tooling in the shop

I know there is a name for this kind of tooling, but can't remember what it is called
    they work well under the benches, and save bench space for tools that may not be used on a daily basis.
    I started building the receivers for the 3 benches, that I will mount them on.

Attaching the mounting plates to the HF 2" receiver tubes, they were cheaper with the 20% off coupon. Then the raw tube at the metal supplier I was using at the time.

Mounted under the bench the end of the tube is flush with the edge of the bench, so when not in use it isn't a snag hazard.

Beverly shear HF knock off

smaller pipe vise
    end of part one
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

A little giant 4 in 1 flat shear, round stock shear, punch, bender
    I have a 12" straight shear to mount yet along with a 4" vise that has bend and rolling attachments. A universal bender, and a bender/scroller from harbor freight.

All of them are at or slightly above the bench top level for ease and comfort working them.

And finally for those times when I'm some place that doesn't have a real vise, I have this.

A Wilton pipe vise, this one I made a little to short of a distance from the grill to the centerline of the vise. It won't work for me to cut any pipe with a regular " to 3" rigid pipe cutter. So this one will become the base for a regular 5" vise with the pipe jaws on the bottom side and the head swivels. since it will fit in the space.

I have a receiver hitch tube on the front of the truck, to spot the trailer next to the parents brick garage, and get the trailer in my yard. As it is easier than trying to back it in on the worlds busiest dead end street that I live on the corner of!

I also have an over head rack set up for the truck one in the front tube one in the back tube plus one for the front of the bed, that straps down to the tie downs. Its about 19 feet from rack to rack makes it easy to haul long stuff and not have anything permanent flying in the wind when not in use. But that's another post.

That's the way to go portable!

Just curious, PT, what are you stickin' that stuff together with?
    Thanks.

Multi pass flux core, with a 25 year old Lincoln 100 110volt going for penetration not looks. I guess that's what your asking.

Default Pt...

...have you seen much deflection in the tubes while using any of the tools?
    Have you thought about putting some side plates on the tubes?+
    (I know, it would only go to the reciever anyway..)
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I will say that I have only had two of them done for a while. The two vises for the for the truck, only one is done isn't for heavy duty use. As I'm retired and will only be used at my parents and kids house. Since they only have small hobby 3" vices.
    I have seen a trailer fold up jack welded to the side of a vise one to stop any flex when threading or bending. I have Rigid tri stand if I need it.

The bench mounted ones has two mounting straps with a total of four holes, which have 3/8" carriage bolts flush with a 2" thick birch bench deck. So far I haven't noticed much other than some side to side slop. I will be posting photo's of the modified receiver tubes, with a hole in one corner of the bottom side and a "nut welded on it and then a short bolt that will apply force to the corner of the insert tube. It will do a way with any slop and most movement, as you can always use a socket or wrench to tighten it up. I am planning on welding an S shaped rod as a finger grip to the top of the bolt. If there is too much movement I will change it to one the wrench will work on.

I know some smiths do a vertical one coming out of a 20" truck rim and the rim is filled with concrete. With the end of the receiver tube resting against the floor. They also use the corner mounted nut and a wrench to hold it steady.

As to side plates I have cut some sheet metal shims and slide them in the receiver tube in the past to take up the slop, they work and are an easy fix.

Will try to modify the next receiver tube that is half done and post the results soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
    Multi pass flux core, with a 25 year old Lincoln 100 110volt going for penetration not looks. I guess that's what your asking.
    Yup, it just looked like the wire was stuttering quite a bit, rather than laying in smooth. Are you going full blast with that unit? I'm not slamming your use of the 100; I use a 120 volt for lots of stuff, but with quite a difference in appearance. Kinda looks like your feeder is slipping.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 07-26-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Could be any of the above or just my fill technique as I did a weave on some. Since I don't plan on selling and and I don't do much MIG welding with it since the thickness it is way over its rated capacity. It was at the top end of the the knobs. Haven't had anything ever come apart at the welds yet.

you mentioned shiming to take out movement, I have had tools mounted like that for about 15 years now. What I did on my bench mount is to weld two 3/4" nuts to the botttom and put short bolts in it that I can tighten up to lock down the tool in the reciever.Bench Mounts.jpg
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein