Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eric,

Now you've pissed me off with your juvenile comments.

If you didn't want to hear the truth, then don't ask the freaking question.

Just so you understand, I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to performance boats. I was racing inboard hydros at 125 MPH+ when I was nine years old. I drove for OMC as one of their factory drivers from 1959-1966. Carl Kiekhaefer, former president of Mercury Marine offered me the job in January 1967 that Reggie Fountain later took in August of that year. That was to drive at Lake X, which was Mercury's high performance test center.

Don Aronow, the founder of Cigarette, Magnum, Donzi, Blue Thunder, and a few other brands of performance boats was a very close personal friend of mine. I was in his shop in N. Miami Beach in 1974 when Doc McGue set the Miami to New York speed record. Up until about four years ago I worked with the dealer for Fountain Powerboats for Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina.

In short, I'm no stranger to performance boats and what goes into them.

The "hokie" seat arrangement you described sounds like something you'd see on a 12' aluminum jon boat with an electric motor, not something with 600+ HP.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Who cares...

Quote Originally Posted by Guardrail View Post
    Who cares...

Sundown, I see your little buddy is back once again to toss in his well-reasoned response...though it would seem somewhat illogical for one who supposedly doesn't care to be following your postings.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardrail View Post
    Who cares...
    Well.... some one asking for opinions on building a Speed Boat Seat Frame should probably care or at least accept the advice from some one else that actually works/fabricates/repairs in the same field as the Topic but seeing as the OP decided that 3/4" AL Conduit is a safe, reliable, and strong material for this application perhaps you are correct...

who cares?

but just to be clear I want to understand the Logic:

Q. Will this material work?
    A. No

"Ok, I'm going to use the material anyway"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Just to clarify
    By "safe, reliable, and strong material", I am just going to do the proper leg work on my part for determining which type diameter/wall thickness of aluminum tubing is needed to have the neccesary strength when coupled with a proper design.
    Again, considering that the factory frame was 1/2x1"-ish plate bent into a closed oval, I see no reason that a tubular structure, made out of 3/4" DOM 3/16 wall tubing welded to a 1/4 top and bottom plate, would not provide a strong alternative with horizontal bracing on the sides, and cross braces on the rear. Since it will be exposed to salt water, 6061 will be that alloy of choice. The conduit was a random thought, you are correct, it has no place in a real structure.

Sundown, I'm glad you have the backround in this, and don't take my previous comment as an insult(if you do, fine) but your initial post, as well as its followup was neither constructive nor helpful towards my goal, which when posting in a forum, non-constructive posts usually lead to nothing more than useless banter.

And to sum this up-
    Owner wanted frame build out of his material, as a box.
    I didn't think it would work, so i posted here, thought confirmed.