Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tig Torch Grip

I was simply offering a suggestion on something that helped me.

It is a good tip some people i have worked with liked it. How do you get over the grip being so flexiable though. that was another big problem i had with it.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

DMKeatts,

Well. I've caught blue gill on bass hooks. However, it's a lot easier with a smaller hook. I could suggest using a 12/0 hook and tuna head for bluegill, but experience knows better... I find the same goes for TIG torches. A little finesse goes a long way. I am familair with tig in/stick out pipe welding and have always used my TIG gloves in/out.

Your posts seem to contradict experience. I rarely see burns from in position stick welds...From TIG torch handles to gate tests...Maybe...

HAWK

HAWK

As others have said, if your torch is getting that hot you may want to consider upgrading to a watercooled outfit. The only time my torch handle gets uncomfortably hot is when I'm welding aluminum on my WP17 or WP9 torch bodies. However I have never done stick so I cannot comment on that process.

About gloves.... I find that the Tillman TIG gloves burn or wear holes in no time. And they are expensive.

My preferred glove is the Tillman Truefit, model 1496. I have tried the "nicer" more expensive Truefit gloves but keep coming back to the "cheap" 1496. About $8 bucks a pair from various online stores.

Default Sometimes...

What I should have said to start is, I like a big thick glove on when I am stick welding overhead, or in 5g. Slag dropping down and pinning in between a tig glove and a pipe will cause a come-apart! You are spot on on the inexperienced part. Like I said, I have no choice but to learn to love the 17. Its just standard equipment here, and we don't supply our own tools by no means. I often will find a way to lean or prop my off hand on the pipe when in position. I'll throw a big 12 cup on my finger if I think about it.... the grip helped me get more roll, feel for the twist, I use jumbo 8 in my root and jumbo 10 out. 25cf, around 100 amp for carbon, 60 for stainless. Preach the teach.....