Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tig Torch Grip

Default Tig Torch Grip

I don't know if this is original or not-but I felt like I needed to contribute something! I stumbled across an inexpensive alternative grip for those who like a bulky non-slip handle on their 17-style tig torch. I often have to change processes mid-weld, and usually wear bulky stick gloves to keep from getting lit up. The new grip lets me feel the handle and is much more secure in my hand. I don't know anything about bikes (or tig torches for that matter) but it seems that most mountain bike handlebar grips fit perfectly (length & ID) over my 17 style torches.

100_0785.jpg
    100_0787.jpg

that is interesting but I usually wear Thin buckskin or goatskin gloves and like my grip to be as small and easy to maneuver as possible.... for me that would be a step in the wrong direction as it would degrade the precision and feel for me..
    Most of the time I use thin leather garden gloves from the hardware store or home center... when I do buy an official welding glove it would be something like a Tillman #24C

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/24c/

I would be looking to have a thinner smaller grip... but that is just me.... think when you get to a #9 or #20 torch you will like the thinner grip and glove much better... My hands are way to klutzy on the little stuff to further handicap myself with a thick grip and heavy gloves...

Quote Originally Posted by DMKeatts View Post
    I don't know if this is original or not-but I felt like I needed to contribute something! I stumbled across an inexpensive alternative grip for those who like a bulky non-slip handle on their 17-style tig torch. I often have to change processes mid-weld, and usually wear bulky stick gloves to keep from getting lit up. The new grip lets me feel the handle and is much more secure in my hand. I don't know anything about bikes (or tig torches for that matter) but it seems that most mountain bike handlebar grips fit perfectly (length & ID) over my 17 style torches.

100_0785.jpg
    100_0787.jpg
    How in the world do you tig with bulky gloves. Listen to what H80N has told you as it seems that you are just starting out in the welding field and don't know a lot about proper gloves and technique. Maybe thick bulky gloves work for some people but you would get a better feel with thinner gloves. Also what do you mean by you change processes in mid weld and don't want to get lit up.

Wheelchair
    Last edited by Wheelchair; 07-15-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
    How in the world do you tig with bulky gloves. Listen to what H80N has told you as it seems that you are just starting out in the welding field and don't a lot about proper gloves and technique. Maybe thick bulky gloves work for some people but you would get a better feel with thinner gloves. Also what do you mean by you change processes in mid weld and don't want to get lit up.

Wheelchair
    I think he means that he stick welds and TIG welds in the same process...I am curious.

I am confused for sure. I can't think of any reason to use a large grip on a tig torch. I don't like a #17 torch because the bulk and lack of torch line flexibility. I'll go out of my way and run a #20 with a cooler just to use the smaller and more maneuverable torch.

Please elaborate on changing processes mid weld. I assume you are swapping to a stick SMAW or GMAW process, but don't know why? What's your application? Pictures would be nice.

HAWK

On critical pipe welds, and sometimes on gate tests, it is often the case that
    you have to tig in the root and hot pass, and then stick out the rest. When welding in position, stick welding with those thin tig gloves will get you burnt.

Default C

The 20 is nice for sure, but the 17v is the standard supplied by our contractors; I grip the torch at the very bottom of the handle, sometimes with just two fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKeatts View Post
    On critical pipe welds, and sometimes on gate tests, it is often the case that
    you have to tig in the root and hot pass, and then stick out the rest. When welding in position, stick welding with those thin tig gloves will get you burnt.
    Old buddy you stated that you did not know much about tig torches in your original post and now you say you are welding critical x-rays. First let me tell you that the guys on this forum will be quick to offer you help but on the other hand they can spot in-expierience just as quick. When you get expierience you will find that you can weld stick on pipe or anything else and not get burnt if you wear tig gloves as a lot of us do and have done.

Good luck,
    Wheelchair

I have seen the bike grips before. I always used a water colled #26 torch so it was huge anyways. I tried the bike grip thing didnt like how it stuck to my gloves, couldnt walk the cup very well. As for the gloves if your tigging with heavy welding gloves your a better man than me. But i never switched, always just wore thinner gloves.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

Definately thin gloves.I hold my torch depending on what heat I'm using.I tend to hold it way back near the end,for high heat,up tight for low.