Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Burned a hole in a connection

Im welding up a cart for my MM180 using 1 x 1 x 0.063 sq tube, with 0.030 wire, they gave me with the machine. I have it on auto set, the problem I had with one of the connections, there was a 1\8 gap, when I went to weld it up I burned a hole in the tubing, it got pretty ugly. How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks for your advice.

Robert

Experience. Weave from side to side. Don't let it get too hot.

Do a series of spot welds to keep the metal from getting too hot and burning through. Pulse the trigger, when you see the metal start to cool (when the orange glow starts to fade a little) give it a little more and keep going til you get past the void you are trying to fill. Also try to keep the weld favored to the solid piece and just make enough of a weld to close up the gap and make a second pass if necessary. Just a few suggestions that may work for you. None of these are really the correct way of doing things but will work.

The correct way to remedy the problem is with good fit up of your pieces. Be a little more careful with your cutting and measuring. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by FabTech View Post
    Im welding up a cart for my MM180 using 1 x 1 x 0.063 sq tube, with 0.030 wire, they gave me with the machine. I have it on auto set, the problem I had with one of the connections, there was a 1\8 gap, when I went to weld it up I burned a hole in the tubing, it got pretty ugly. How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks for your advice.

Robert
    close the gap.

Default 1/8" gap

1. There is no substitute for good fit-up.

2. Having said that, a 1/8" gap is nothing (for a stick welder).

3. It is "Autoset" not "Autopilot".

4. Burning up the base metal is caused by concentrating too much heat. The whole point of welding is controlling the heat and blending the metals. Watch the puddle and you will know what is happening with both.

Good luck.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."