Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Raptor cutting pattern is coming along.
    I think the hardest part will be the top section.
    Doing all the mathematics gives you the lengths and angles but how it all goes together is another thing.
    A cutting pattern program would be great because if you change one dimension all the others change as well.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Ji,
    The original model that I made did not have the crease/bend that you are talking about, but it was drawn to be built out of paper, which bends and flexes very easily. After making a few of them, I would have put that bend in from the get-go. If that bend is there, the material should be slightly convex rather than concave (which sounds like the issue that you are having). That is actually a change that I have made in my drawing as well. There were quite a few things that you will find when you are building the Raptor that will pose challenges. Translating something that is typically built out of paper to something made of metal poses some challenges. Definitely take bending losses and gains into consideration.

As far as the project for next year,,, any suggestions? We have 1 for Helicopter
    Brad Hemmert
    Welding Engineer - TIG Commercial Products

bhemme@millerwelds.com

Hi Brad,
    Yes the paper certainly absorbs any loss or gain mistakes in ones calculations.
    Hard to know how it will work until it is built.
    I want to weld mine in ali but no way to remove excess heat.
    If I use 2mm ali it may tack okay but may be a bit heavy or the thickness may spoil the look or take extra work in tapering edges.

Great work by the way.
    Next years model could be the space shuttle, you know a final salute.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it