Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default F-22 Raptor Project for 2011 EAA Airventure

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to point out a fun little project Brad Hemmert (one of Miller's Welding Engineers) did to help promote the 2011 EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI. Brad welded up a replica F-22 Raptor made out of stainless steel using the Diversion 180. It's just another example of some of the fun projects one can do if you have a welding machine.
    Check out the link below to watch Brad put it together, or stop by the Miller booth at this year's EAA AirVenture from July 25th -31st to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nielsmil.../1/N1FmYTtJ0bY
    John Swartz
    Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

John.Swartz@MillerWelds.com

John
    is there a DXF file available for this pattern??? would be very cool to scale up... cut parts on plasmacam..... weld up to make a wonderful contemporary weathervane........
    just a thought.....
    Heiti

Great project,
    Looks like and a lot of fun and very impressive.
    The cutting was great it just looked like a pattern, that is the way it should be.
    Pitty laser and waterjet cutting in Australia is so expensive.
    Was the welding discolouration removed ?
    Was it all just tacked ?
    Was any of the welds back purged ?

Well done
    Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    John
    is there a DXF file available for this pattern??? would be very cool to scale up... cut parts on plasmacam..... weld up to make a wonderful contemporary weathervane........
    just a thought.....
    Heiti
    I guess they don't follow up with their posts, too bad I would like to have the pattern as well.

Make it three who want the pattern file.

Thurmond
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    Lincoln 225A AC "Tombstone" Box welder.(for sale)
    Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Fluxcore
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
    Oxy / Acetylene Torch Rig
    Mini Lathe and Mill

Me me me.

H80N, Jigantor, Ltbadd, Daniel, Tritium,

I too would love to build one of these F-22 models, although using my hand held Hypertherm torch or a grinder to cut the pieces would not do justice to this project.

I found 3 files in a quick search on the web.

2 are pdf format and one is dxf format.

I am having trouble attaching any of the files to this message , so If you want the files I found, pm me and I will send them along.

It seems that the Miller site does not support attaching dxf format files which may explain the lack of response from Miller's John Swartz or Brad Hemmert.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Yep its not the pattern that is the problem its the cutting out.
    Laser cutters here charge by the length of cut.
    I inquired recently about getting an item laser cut.
    The item was only 2D, cut from 3mm thick ali total length of 480mm.
    I wanted 10 off and the cutting company to supply the ali.
    I recieved a estimate of $11.00 per unit.
    That equaltes to 2.3 cents per millimetre (including the material).
    It does not sound very much but to make this item priced correctly for resale that was too much.
    I can not imagine how long the cut would be for the pattern on the Raptor. To take a guess I would say the length of cut would be around 3500 - 4500mm.
    That would cost $105.00 just for the cutting.

A bandsaw, scroll saw or tin snips could get the job done but the post cutting make good would not be worth it to me.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The prints for the Raptor were actually a personal purchase from a company online. I am not able to share the drawings due to copy write-agreement even though I redrew them in CAD so the prints would work a little better for construction in stainless. The link below is to the group that I purchased the prints from. They provide designs for paper airplanes, and they fly awesome. They are a great project, especially if you have kids,,, who am I kidding, if you act like a kid like me. They have the F-22, F-16, F-15, and a couple others. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.bitmaster.com.au/fold3d/
    Brad Hemmert
    Welding Engineer - TIG Commercial Products

bhemme@millerwelds.com

Hi Brad,
    I have started designing my own Raptor model.
    One problem I have is that the top section just behind the cockpit is angling downwards at around 20 degrees. The problem shows itself on the sides.
    The sides will be up above the middle section.
    My question is did you slightly bend or roll the apex (as per my attached drawing ) so the sides sat down on top of the middle section?
    I can see a slight curve on your video.

I was planning on making mine out of ali but 1mm ali is hard to TIG without a heat sink.

Great project.
    What is on for next year that helicopter that does not exist?

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it