Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wiring Millermatic 211 to NEMA 10-50R

I've got a very conveniently placed range outlet, a NEMA 10-50R, near where I want to use the welder. It's a 50 amp circuit, straight from the box to the outside. We've got a dryer plugged to it now, but it's got the 10-50 which is a "range" plug: three flat blades, one vertical, two slanted like \ / . I have a range cord, which has the same plug. I wanted to see if I could wire it up to that with the NEMA 6-50 at the other end. But the range plug is a 3 pole, and the Miller a 2 pole. The 10-50 has a 125 and a 250 and what, a neutral, the vertical? And the 6-50 two 110s, i.e. both hot?

So can I just wire the two hots to the \ and /, and neutral to the | and be good to go?

Rob

It will work. Done all the time.

Yep, while it is a "neutral" on the dryer/range receptacle, it can be used as a ground with no issues whatsoever. The neutral is a "grounded conductor" designed to carry current in normal conditions. The ground is a "grounding conductor" designed to carry the current in a fault. My first shop used a MM175 plugged into a dryer receptacle for two years.

As long as there's no other outlets on the same circuit (very rare with dryer outlets, but I've seen it a few times), you can safely use the neutral as ground.

--Bushytails

And in terms of wiring, does it matter how the \ and / prongs are wiring to the Millermatic plug? Should I just keep left to left, right to right, and middle to middle?

And ideally this circuit originates from the main entrance panel not a 4 wire fed sub, then the N is fine, as good as it gets.

Mac,, I see a few posts lately, so you are back,,,, been hiding where? Good to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    And ideally this circuit originates from the main entrance panel not a 4 wire fed sub, then the N is fine, as good as it gets.
    Yep; shoulda mentioned that. Just about 20' away.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robgendreau View Post
    And in terms of wiring, does it matter how the \ and / prongs are wiring to the Millermatic plug? Should I just keep left to left, right to right, and middle to middle?
    It doesn't matter at all. The two "hots" can be in any order at any time.

Cary, I've been busy, even wound up starting my own legal business, which is a real hassle and expense here. Neglected the welding forums for a while, but will try to blow through regularly.

Mac
    good to see you active again.....