Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Projects for Little Kids

I have a 10 year old nephew and an 11 year old son of a friend. They are asking questions about welding. I would like to find a simple project that i can do with them that will make them feel like they accomplished something. I was thinking maybe a Mythbusters style name plate. I could plasma cut out the letters ahead of time and have them tack them back inplace with the MIG? maybe a little to much of me doing it and not enough of them. What do you guys think? They have no real welding or tool using experience. Any other ideas are welcome.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

nope i got no ideas ,but i think its good that your getting the rugrats invovled
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

They could weld their name with mig on a plate. I'd hand them the plasma and let them cut it out while you help. I would drill some starter holes possibly to prevent the splash as you pierce a plate if you have them cut the name from a plate in negative.

Weld a pencil holder from some pipe? U shaped napkin holder? Book ends? Candle holder or one of those cut up can lanterns that hold a candle?

Thanks DSW i think i may be able to run with one of those ideas. They have been asking the "can you show me how to weld questions" but they of course have no idea whats involved. When the oppertunity presents itself, i would like to have something in mind to show them.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

When I was helping my dad out at an early age. He would give me one or two easy tasks to do while working on a bigger project. He started me off welding .062 1X2" tubing that he had already laid out and tacked up.
    My suggestion start them out with a mig or an O/A they are much more forgiving. Get them working on anything you can. It doesn't need to be a project especially for them although that would be nice. let them do some of the grunt work.
    I did a lot of hold this and get that but every once in awhile it was "hey weld this joint. Or braze this." just getting them involved will be a big kick for them.

Then you could come up with a supervised project.
    Bike rack, RC car display stand, Basketball hoop. Common stuff they would use.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Here's a project that I posted awhile back that my great nephew made , he just turned 7. Anyways, he is always bugging his mom to come visit me so he can make stuff. I screwed up and erased his last project out of the camera before it was downloaded but he made a plant hanger for his mom that turned out rather well for a kid that just turned 7.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=12666
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

My 10 yr old son is into horses - he made this for the arena door. More time bending than welding - but he did it all himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep the ideas coming, I would love to get my step daughter involved (she loves working on projects together) but I have yet to do any metal working with her. Plus this is the perfect reason to get the new hood I want, so we each can wear one as I teach her how to weld.

-Dan

Thumbs up Got the wheels turning...

Hello!

I am a High School welding teacher, and was thinking about doing a welding camp at my school sometime during the summer for late elementary or middle school age kids... You guys have inspired me!

Nice project ideas... a plasma cut name, the mom plate, some horse shoe stuff like a napkin holder etc. Small projects that could be done in a day or two...

Thanks for the ideas guys! Any more very simple projects come to mind?

Anyway thanks for the help!

Default Welding project

Hope this is not too complicated.
    I welded this up in about 2 hours from scraps I had on hand.
    The head moves around.

Painting it took longer than the welding phase.

Other ideas:

Turtle, frog, fish snake, birds, cat, dog , flower cut-outs from flat plate

wind chimes, house number sign,

The fun part is using whatever is on hand and having fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !