View Poll Results: should i paint ??

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • paint it

7 50.00%
  • no paint

7 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default metal art, to paint or not to paint ???

so i been playing with this piece for almost a year.....ok maybe a little longer.
    so i'm getting closer to finishing it and cant quite decide if it should be painted or left as bare steel ???
    i plan on working on the base a bit still and then staining it a dark mahogany or deep reddish color.

so what do you all think, paint or no paint ???

not the best pic's i'll try to take a few better ones later tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fun4now; 01-28-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default no paint

i'd clean it up and spray water from a bottle to let form a little rust then clearcoat it

I wouldn't let this rust because of too many details. Once it rusts, everything will just blend together.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default No paint.

James,

You and your other half have so much talent. I'm jealous.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

thanks TIG
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

James, that piece is pretty cool looking, nice job. Half of me says to leave it the way it is and the other half says to paint it, either way it will still look good. Glad I could be so much help with your decision Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Wow.

You might think about just clear coating it with a high end
    epoxy/catalized clear like they use on car paint jobs.
    Then display it someplace that has a roof over it rather than being out
    in the exposure/harshness of full weather.

That'd protect it, but you wouldn't lose the details and 'effect'
    (for lack of a better word) it has.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-28-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Thumbs up

I really like the concept and it turned out great. I'm the type that has to paint everything and I would be using an airbrush on it to big out it's strong points and then clear it.

Bead blasting it and letting it naturally rust would look nice as well. Either way It's nice imaginative work and you the artist will have to decide
    Miller matic 350P
    Millermatic 252/Spool gun
    Miller Spectrum 875 plasma
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Coolmate 3
    Miller Elite ( INFERNO Digital)
    2008 Miller Trailblazer 302/Custom trailer
    Custom DX200 Crazy Cart
    Sofia 13 X 30 Lathe
    MODERN 10X50 knee mill with Fagor 40i DRO
    Craftex 30 Mill/Drill

All this stuff below was done with Miller gear

My YouTube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348

Flickr photo's:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/sets/

dabar39 James, that piece is pretty cool looking, nice job. Half of me says to leave it the way it is and the other half says to paint it,
    that is exactly my problem. i picked up some air brush stuff for it a wile back with the intent of painting it. but now i just don't know ??? i like it in steel but at the same time ??? summer is the soonest it might bet put on display, so i have time to decide, just cant.

i think it would look really cool with black orange red and yellows all worked into it to look like a lava ball and a mostly red and black hand. it could look really cool in paint, at the same time paint takes the steel away...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    i'll wait and see if some thing just jumps out and screams at me.i suppose i could take a better pic and list it on e-bay as is for a ridicules $$ and see what happens. i can always offer to paint it for the buyer if requested, at the same time some one might want to paint it themselves ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Default No paint

I think I'd have it sand blasted shiny and then try the hot linseed oil finish. If you've seen some of "hotfoots" stuff on the other boards you can get some fantastic deep golds, maroons and bronze colors that still let the beauty of the metal though.

The bell here is done that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images