Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by strube1369 View Post
    I'm thinkin' it might be easier to mow the whole thing yourself... "No thanks, Hon, I like to mow..."

I went with that method years ago!

The only mowing equipment my ole lady uses anymore is the Weedeater, and then only after I put on the string, gas it up and start it for her. Thing is she can't outlast a full tank of gas.

My wife mows and knows how to use the weed eater..... I stop her at the chainsaw though

Default Women with Chainsaws

My wife has two chainsaws she bought before we were married. She needed them for maintaining the trees on 2.5 acres of mostly horse pasture, with shade trees in the corners.

A few years ago, she was working with her pastor and a dozen other men, putting up a big Christmas display in the pastor's back yard. Couple of trees needed trimming so several thousand visitors a day could use the walkway to view the displays. Pastor asked, "Can anybody run a chainsaw?" After a minute of everybody looking around and nobody volunteering, Debbie put her hand up. "I can."

When the day was done, she had earned a new nickname around the church - "Chainsaw Deb."

A couple years later, we had to clear all the trees from 1.5 miles of right-of-way so the power company could bring in a power line to our 80 acre farm. Deb and I and three neighbors spent four solid days taking down trees, cutting them into firewood, hauling branches and a few stumps out of the way with a compact tractor. Those guys never thought a woman could handle an 18" Husqvarna with such panache.

And she mows the pasture too.
    Last edited by GilaSlim; 10-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.

GilaSlim,

You have a wonderful, talented wife many men would sell their soul for.

My favorite female welder/fabricator is Scottie from Mythbusters.

She tig welds, burns, and has many technical skills I lack.
    On one of the episodes as I understand, the Mythbusters needed a BIG ramp to drive ( or launch) a car from at high speed.

Scottie simply (ha) took a 40 foot steel shipping container and cut it on the diagonal to make 2 "wedges". I believe she used oxy-acetylene equipment for this. She then welded the two "wedges" together to make the car launch ramp.
    Very clever idea which I would never have thought of.

We need more women in this field.

Maybe this calls for another thread to showcase female welders/fabricators/artists.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Thanks. I grew up appreciating women who could do stuff. While Dad was off shooting 105 mm Howitzers at Germans (3rd Armored Division), Mom was working in Texas building B-24 Liberators. Rosie the Riveter! Still have her toolbox with her name riveted into the lid.

When I first met Debbie, I knew she was the girl for me. Had her own horses, could change the oil and tune-up her truck, was already an NRA Life Member. And she cooks wonderful stuff!

A guy just couldn't ask for better.

Although I admire the fact she cuts the grass perhaps she needs to take a step back to the basics before being allowed the big machines again. Think remedial grass cutting. see pic below as to what I am suggesting.

grass shears.jpg

i would look into a beefier tractor with heavier frame rails.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Quote Originally Posted by GilaSlim View Post
    My wife has two chainsaws she bought before we were married. She needed them for maintaining the trees on 2.5 acres of mostly horse pasture, with shade trees in the corners.

A few years ago, she was working with her pastor and a dozen other men, putting up a big Christmas display in the pastor's back yard. Couple of trees needed trimming so several thousand visitors a day could use the walkway to view the displays. Pastor asked, "Can anybody run a chainsaw?" After a minute of everybody looking around and nobody volunteering, Debbie put her hand up. "I can."

When the day was done, she had earned a new nickname around the church - "Chainsaw Deb."

A couple years later, we had to clear all the trees from 1.5 miles of right-of-way so the power company could bring in a power line to our 80 acre farm. Deb and I and three neighbors spent four solid days taking down trees, cutting them into firewood, hauling branches and a few stumps out of the way with a compact tractor. Those guys never thought a woman could handle an 18" Husqvarna with such panache.

And she mows the pasture too.
    My sister-in-law likes to get her hands on a chainsaw too. Too bad though she will bend em till they break. She trashed the bar on my brand new Husky saw, she just kept on cuting till it smoked. She trashed my brother's brand new Husky too. I guess she didn't grasp the concept of when it stops throwing big flakes off the chain and it turns into a fine dust the chain needs sharpened. Finally he went out and bought her, her own saw.

She likes to brush hog the pasture too. I won't even mention the carnage there!!!

Fortunately your wife seems to be more articulate in power tools than my sister-in-law.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

My guess is to much weight on the mower.