Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a 6x12 utility trailer

I have quite a few projects under my belt and feel pretty good about my welds, so I decided to build a 6x12 trailer.

I have never built a trailer before, don't really know what all I need as far as materials, etc. but I was thinking that I could build one for less than $1,200, which is what they are selling for around here.

If anyone has any plans, that would be great. Any information will be helpful.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Default Utility Trailer

4" channel with 2x2 3/16 angle for crossmembers. The angle will sit inside the C and have the exact space for lumber inside the box.

Are you saying make the outside frame out of the channel and the rest from angle?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Default Utility Trailer

Channel and angle iron is the cheapest material, That is why most trailers are built with it. Strong and easy to work with. Tubing is nice but almost double the cost of material. What GVW do you want?

I am not for sure. It will be a single axle, so nothing real stout. I am mainly using it to haul a couple quads, but would like it a little heavier than the cheap ones you can buy at lowes or tractor supply.

Would a 2000 lb axle be enough or should I go with a 3500 lb?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

You could build the entire trailer out of angle. Use 3x3 for the box and 2x2 for the x-members. It would be plenty strong for what you intend to use it for and the trailer would be a few pounds lighter thus allowing for more usable capacity. Unless I am building one for heavy duty use I generally use all angle. Never had any issue at all. For hauling 2 quads I'd go with a 3500# axle. Remember, you must subtract the weight of the trailer (less axle) from the axle rating to determine the useful load capacity. Two quads could weigh over 1000# easily, so that plus the weight of the trailer and you could get very near or exceed the 2000# rated load for the axle if you go with a 2000#.
    Last edited by goinssr; 06-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spool Gun
    Hypertherm PowerMax 30
    Etc., Etc., Etc......
    Western Arkansas Welding

I will be hauling 2 race quads on the trailer that weigh about 400lbs each.

I get what you are saying as far as the total weight rating. I will probably end up making the outside frame out of channel, simply because that's what I prefer. My dad has a little 5x8 made out of all angle and it is super light duty.

I did some rough calculations today. I came up with 100ft. of 2x2 angle and 60ft of channel. Does that sound about right for a 6x12?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Quote Originally Posted by ohsobad_chevy View Post
    I did some rough calculations today. I came up with 100ft. of 2x2 angle and 60ft of channel. Does that sound about right for a 6x12?
    Probably pretty close if you are going to build the tounge out of channel also. Good luck with the build and post pics when you finish.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spool Gun
    Hypertherm PowerMax 30
    Etc., Etc., Etc......
    Western Arkansas Welding

Not exactly sure when I will start, but I will post up.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Did this build get done..I have 2 race quads and need a new trailer as well...