Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminium stick welding difficulties!

I am having lots of difficulties trying to do aluminium stick welding. I also phoned the manufacturer of the rods but they couldn't give me much information. I read in a book that I need DC and it is difficult to maintain the arc, however I am not convinced that I am doing everything right. To be honest what I need is a short video clip to see what can be achieved, and I will be very happy if someone could kindly upload one.

Thanks
    Regards

Marcelo

If you are looking to use stick as an option vs tig or mig then your going to have the troubles your encountering. Stick should be the last option, more kind of like in case of emergency type of option as tig and mig are definitely better.

Cool

What are you trying to weld? Alum rods are OK for castings but they do leave a lot to be desired. You almost have to make big tacks and then chip everything off and fill in between the tacks. If you try to run a bead it may just melt and drop to the floor with no warning. I used it years ago with that method...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Welding Ali with stick is problematic even on a good day. Like the others have suggested, use Mig with a spool gun or tig and call it good. The stick result seemed like it was always too brittle when I finally got enough build up to grind down to size and fit. Seems like the "miracle" sticks and stuff like that are making another upswing, but there is no replacement for seat time and experience. Even the highly experienced guys do not use the "miracle rods" since they are a waste of time and money.
    Bob
    Last edited by Rbeckett; 06-25-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Spelling.

i recently repaired a rim from an audi, a crack 2.5" long right through the meaty area by the bead. i ground out a v close to 1/2" deep, the alu rod worked ok,i dont have a tig, so i should say that it worked great. the trick with this rod is to make sure the rod is fresh, moisture is really bad, once you strike an arc move twice as fast as stick welding steel, and keep a short arc, what are you welding and what size rod

Thanks for the answers, I just tried to weld over a piece of sheet AL I found in the workshop, no idea what type is it.

I forgot to ask if an inverter may be a better option to try AL stick welding, rather than just a rectifier ?

Basically, what everyone is saying to you is that running AL stick is a rather expensive last ditch effort to repair something.

Its a nightmare to run, as to have to weld extra fast, and you'll go through lots of rod.

It won't matter if you have an inverter, transformer or hybrid

Kevin,

Are you saying you repaired an aluminum Audi rim with a stick welder?

If so, I hope you're REAL GOOD FRIENDS with your insurance agent.

It's one thing to do something stupid, but to later brag about it, takes the cake.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

well said Sundown !