Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

as he stated he is using pure co2.although i never tried it,does anyone know if this is even doable?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    as he stated he is using pure co2.although i never tried it,does anyone know if this is even doable?
    ???

CO2 sure, no problem

Default Maybe.....

Well.. At my school when my mig welds turned out like that.... it was the shielding gas.. there was not enough coverage and/or i had to much stick out and the gas wasn't protecting the molten pool enough thus resulting in bad welds.....
    This may be incorrect as I'm not a certified weldor or anything... Although i do plan on it one day...

Default Sheild gas

This is only an observation but you can't use straight Argon on carban steel you have to use Argon/CO2 mix. You can however just use the straight Argon on stainless CO2 won't work for you.

I've used straight CO2 on carbon steel with ok results. It runs kinda hot, so it gave me some problems with burning through the barrel on my smoker. It's ok but I'd tahe the 75/25 blend anyday!!!

I use pure co2 all the time on thick or thin steel with no problem other than a little more spatter.

Quote Originally Posted by mi_r16 View Post
    Sorry to say it's no Miller or other high quality welder. It's a SIP Migmate 150 230volt.
    It has negative ground.
    I've tried all possible settings on the welder with just the same result. It has just hi/low and max/med/min for amps and fully adjustable wire feed.
    As for gas flow i've tried everything from nothing to max, and the weld is basically bad no matter what flow.
    It looks like your welds are not receiving sufficient post-flow gas. The SIP Migmate does not have a gas solenoid. A valve is located in the torch and gas flow begins once the trigger is pulled in halfway (pulling it in the rest of the way activates the feed roller and makes the tip hot). When finishing up a weld, ease off the trigger to the point where the wire feed stops but not to where the gas shuts off. Hold it in this position for a second or two, to let the end of the weld remain shrouded in shielding gas, before fully letting go of the trigger and moving the torch away.

Quote Originally Posted by mk10 View Post
    It looks like your welds are not receiving sufficient post-flow gas. The SIP Migmate does not have a gas solenoid. A valve is located in the torch and gas flow begins once the trigger is pulled in halfway (pulling it in the rest of the way activates the feed roller and makes the tip hot). When finishing up a weld, ease off the trigger to the point where the wire feed stops but not to where the gas shuts off. Hold it in this position for a second or two, to let the end of the weld remain shrouded in shielding gas, before fully letting go of the trigger and moving the torch away.
    I have tried this. Didn't help. But I found the gas valve in the torch to be leaking just a little bit, and this is probable where it has been sucking in air polluting the weld. I got a new torch and now the welds are great again!

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.