Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone figure out what is wrong with my welds? :confused:

Hi y'all! I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell my what is up with my welds. I can not figure out what causes the welds looking like this. All the beads in the pictures have different wire feeding speeds, amps and gas flow settings, but it does not seem to get any better. They are really pourus all the way through and it sounds (and looks) totally wrong when welding. I use co2 shielding gas and a spool of SG-2 AWS A5.18:ER70S-6 wire (or at least the sticker on the spool says so). If there is anything I forgot to mention please don't hesitate to ask. This is making me crazy.

Thanks

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mi_r16 View Post
    Hi y'all! I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell my what is up with my welds. I can not figure out what causes the welds looking like this. All the beads in the pictures have different wire feeding speeds, amps and gas flow settings, but it does not seem to get any better. They are really pourus all the way through and it sounds (and looks) totally wrong when welding. I use co2 shielding gas and a spool of SG-2 AWS A5.18:ER70S-6 wire (or at least the sticker on the spool says so). If there is anything I forgot to mention please don't hesitate to ask. This is making me crazy.

Thanks

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    Machine settings and polarity Gas flow settings, machine type please?

With out that knowledge my guess is too much stick out (the tip out passed the end of the gas nozzle) and or the tip too far from the work

Might also be a gas flow problem not enough too much or a leak in the line sucking in atmosphere.
    TJ______________________________________

also, what is the exact amount of gas/gases in your bottle?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Default bad weld

Could be starting with gas ,I use a mixed gas C-25.Weld were there is no cross draft ,mig welding needs gas.Make sure gas hose is good and check for leaks or kinks.Clean base metal very good and also the ground connection ,very important.

What kind of metal are you welding on?
    My first thought is too much heat and too fast of wire feed if that is clean bare steel.
    It looks very thin also. If you use too much heat, could be burning thru and pulling atmosphere from bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    That would be a tough one as he would have to weigh his jug, know what the original weight etc. and CO2 can show pressure right up until it goes empty.

I've seen the "volcano" at the end of the weld before at work. It turned out to be a bad nozzle seal. It was sucking air past the diffuser and mixing with the shield gas. Mill oil on the steel has done that to me at home also.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Machine settings and polarity Gas flow settings, machine type please?
    Sorry to say it's no Miller or other high quality welder. It's a SIP Migmate 150 230volt.
    It has negative ground.
    I've tried all possible settings on the welder with just the same result. It has just hi/low and max/med/min for amps and fully adjustable wire feed.
    As for gas flow i've tried everything from nothing to max, and the weld is basically bad no matter what flow.

I have been welding with this welder for years with no problems what so ever. It's just this last year or so it's been acting up. For long I just thought the metal I was welding were too dirty. But the other day I had to weld something air tight and cleaned it off really good, but still same crappy welds.

With out that knowledge my guess is too much stick out (the tip out passed the end of the gas nozzle) and or the tip too far from the work
    I'm pretty sure I have it close enough.

Might also be a gas flow problem not enough too much or a leak in the line sucking in atmosphere.
    Would'nt a leak just cause the co2 to leak out instead of sucking atmosphere in? Anyways I found no leaks in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    I use disposable bottles with pure co2.

Quote Originally Posted by john p View Post
    Could be starting with gas ,I use a mixed gas C-25.Weld were there is no cross draft ,mig welding needs gas.Make sure gas hose is good and check for leaks or kinks.Clean base metal very good and also the ground connection ,very important.
    There is no draft in my shop, and I've tried sandblasting, wire brushing, paint thinner, etc to clean the metal. No difference

Quote Originally Posted by mooseye View Post
    What kind of metal are you welding on?
    Not sure exactly the type of metal I welded on in the pictures, but I've tried several types I found laying around my shop and there is just the same problems with all. Although the 316 stainles steel pieces I tried on the weld bead looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseye View Post
    My first thought is too much heat and too fast of wire feed if that is clean bare steel.
    It looks very thin also. If you use too much heat, could be burning thru and pulling atmosphere from bottom.
    I've tried every setting possible and still the same result. It's probable 3mm thick or so. I used to weld alot of car exhaust systems (1mm wall thick pipe)before and that worked out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JCFab View Post
    I've seen the "volcano" at the end of the weld before at work. It turned out to be a bad nozzle seal. It was sucking air past the diffuser and mixing with the shield gas.
    Jeff
    Yes that is a possible explanation. Will definitely check that out..

Thanks everyone!

Mi_r16-

Is this a new roll of wire?

Looking at the Pic again we something similar on a MM210-

Pull out the wire and blow out the liner- even if it's not the problem it can't hurt

Try another roll of wire if you have one around .

Ed

Are you getting gas flow at the nozzle?
    Is the defuser clean and unobstructed?
    Is the gas nozzle clean?

I am thinking some kind of gas problem as you might have guessed.

As this is a new issue, then something new has changed look for the NEW difference.

A leak in the gas system can sometimes actually suck in atmosphere, and contaminate the weld.

The volcanoes are indicative of poor gas coverage.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________