Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default Can anyone figure out what is wrong with my welds? :confused:

    Hi y'all! I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell my what is up with my welds. I can not figure out what causes the welds looking like this. All the beads in the pictures have different wire feeding speeds, amps and gas flow settings, but it does not seem to get any better. They are really pourus all the way through and it sounds (and looks) totally wrong when welding. I use co2 shielding gas and a spool of SG-2 AWS A5.18:ER70S-6 wire (or at least the sticker on the spool says so). If there is anything I forgot to mention please don't hesitate to ask. This is making me crazy.

    Thanks

    2.jpg

    3.jpg

    4.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi_r16 View Post
    Hi y'all! I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell my what is up with my welds. I can not figure out what causes the welds looking like this. All the beads in the pictures have different wire feeding speeds, amps and gas flow settings, but it does not seem to get any better. They are really pourus all the way through and it sounds (and looks) totally wrong when welding. I use co2 shielding gas and a spool of SG-2 AWS A5.18:ER70S-6 wire (or at least the sticker on the spool says so). If there is anything I forgot to mention please don't hesitate to ask. This is making me crazy.

    Thanks

    2.jpg

    3.jpg

    4.jpg
    Machine settings and polarity Gas flow settings, machine type please?


    With out that knowledge my guess is too much stick out (the tip out passed the end of the gas nozzle) and or the tip too far from the work


    Might also be a gas flow problem not enough too much or a leak in the line sucking in atmosphere.
    TJ______________________________________

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    745

    Default

    also, what is the exact amount of gas/gases in your bottle?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default bad weld

    Could be starting with gas ,I use a mixed gas C-25.Weld were there is no cross draft ,mig welding needs gas.Make sure gas hose is good and check for leaks or kinks.Clean base metal very good and also the ground connection ,very important.

  5. #5

    Default

    What kind of metal are you welding on?
    My first thought is too much heat and too fast of wire feed if that is clean bare steel.
    It looks very thin also. If you use too much heat, could be burning thru and pulling atmosphere from bottom.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    also, what is the exact amount of gas/gases in your bottle?
    That would be a tough one as he would have to weigh his jug, know what the original weight etc. and CO2 can show pressure right up until it goes empty.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Celina, Tx
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I've seen the "volcano" at the end of the weld before at work. It turned out to be a bad nozzle seal. It was sucking air past the diffuser and mixing with the shield gas. Mill oil on the steel has done that to me at home also.
    Jeff

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Machine settings and polarity Gas flow settings, machine type please?
    Sorry to say it's no Miller or other high quality welder. It's a SIP Migmate 150 230volt.
    It has negative ground.
    I've tried all possible settings on the welder with just the same result. It has just hi/low and max/med/min for amps and fully adjustable wire feed.
    As for gas flow i've tried everything from nothing to max, and the weld is basically bad no matter what flow.

    I have been welding with this welder for years with no problems what so ever. It's just this last year or so it's been acting up. For long I just thought the metal I was welding were too dirty. But the other day I had to weld something air tight and cleaned it off really good, but still same crappy welds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    With out that knowledge my guess is too much stick out (the tip out passed the end of the gas nozzle) and or the tip too far from the work
    I'm pretty sure I have it close enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Might also be a gas flow problem not enough too much or a leak in the line sucking in atmosphere.
    Would'nt a leak just cause the co2 to leak out instead of sucking atmosphere in? Anyways I found no leaks in the line.

    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    also, what is the exact amount of gas/gases in your bottle?
    I use disposable bottles with pure co2.

    Quote Originally Posted by john p View Post
    Could be starting with gas ,I use a mixed gas C-25.Weld were there is no cross draft ,mig welding needs gas.Make sure gas hose is good and check for leaks or kinks.Clean base metal very good and also the ground connection ,very important.
    There is no draft in my shop, and I've tried sandblasting, wire brushing, paint thinner, etc to clean the metal. No difference

    Quote Originally Posted by mooseye View Post
    What kind of metal are you welding on?
    Not sure exactly the type of metal I welded on in the pictures, but I've tried several types I found laying around my shop and there is just the same problems with all. Although the 316 stainles steel pieces I tried on the weld bead looks better.

    Quote Originally Posted by mooseye View Post
    My first thought is too much heat and too fast of wire feed if that is clean bare steel.
    It looks very thin also. If you use too much heat, could be burning thru and pulling atmosphere from bottom.
    I've tried every setting possible and still the same result. It's probable 3mm thick or so. I used to weld alot of car exhaust systems (1mm wall thick pipe)before and that worked out fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCFab View Post
    I've seen the "volcano" at the end of the weld before at work. It turned out to be a bad nozzle seal. It was sucking air past the diffuser and mixing with the shield gas.
    Jeff
    Yes that is a possible explanation. Will definitely check that out..

    Thanks everyone!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,831

    Default

    Mi_r16-

    Is this a new roll of wire?

    Looking at the Pic again we something similar on a MM210-

    Pull out the wire and blow out the liner- even if it's not the problem it can't hurt

    Try another roll of wire if you have one around .

    Ed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Are you getting gas flow at the nozzle?
    Is the defuser clean and unobstructed?
    Is the gas nozzle clean?

    I am thinking some kind of gas problem as you might have guessed.

    As this is a new issue, then something new has changed look for the NEW difference.

    A leak in the gas system can sometimes actually suck in atmosphere, and contaminate the weld.

    The volcanoes are indicative of poor gas coverage.

    TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137