Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes you can vertical up or down.I use both.Up for penitration and down for cover. Down works well on an outside corner on thin material.

If it was easy then everyone would already be doing it.
    Basically if you have filler rod on the floor, then you need to get the rod back out of the heat a bit and add it more to the edge of the puddle. Sometimes I get too much heat on the rod and have to stop and either cut the end of the rod off or switch it end for end. You have to stay on the ball and if you get lazy and just try to force it to work you will have results that reflect that. Be methodical.
    If you can run vertical up with stick, then tig is a breeze IMO

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    If it was easy then everyone would already be doing it.
    If you can run vertical up with stick, then tig is a breeze IMO
    Yes. I agree. SMAW was the first process I learned. First with cellulose rods, then lo-hi. My favorite rod and weld position is 7018 vertical up. I love the dripped candle look the slag provides until removed. Three stringers and cap is the how I practiced until I got it right. GTAW vertical up seems very easy by comparison. TIG is the last of the three major welding processes I learned: (1) SMAW, (2) GMAW/FCAW, (3) GTAW.

HAWK

lw3eov,

Does your machine have an adjustable frequency control? Turning up the frequency will provide a more tightly focused arc. This will help you on an inside corner joint-any position. Too much arc focus on an outside corner will make it hard to cover the joint. Have you tried pulse welding? Is that an option with your machine?

HAWK