Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Vertical welding Aluminium with TIG, is it possible? how?

Vertical welding Aluminium with TIG, is it possible? how?

Thanks
    Regards

Marcelo

Yes it is. Vertical up. Practice.
    "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Quote Originally Posted by lw3eov View Post
    Vertical welding Aluminium with TIG, is it possible? how?

Thanks
    Regards

Marcelo
    Yes it is possible. As Jason said, practice.

Griff

Practice is a slow way to learn, but it is more than possible, some of the worlds finest welding is done vert, overhead too.

I prefer to make corner welds on aluminum going up hill.Remeber heat rises and I think it helps me.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Smile Uphill TIG

You bet it can be done. Puddle up , add the rod and move As you move let the amps slide off a bit and let the puddle freeze. Then amp back up and add rod, Repeat the sequence. Practice. Time under the hood. Just you and the metal.
    Practice in some 1/8" stuff and work up to heavier materials. Actually you can add filler rod from either the from or back side of the torch. Just takes a little time to get the hang of it. It will help you a lot if you can find an instructor ar even a good "ol' TIG Master that could show you a couple of times. Amazing what a qualified instructor can help you achieve!
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Practice is a slow way to learn, but it is more than possible, some of the worlds finest welding is done vert, overhead too.
    Just curious. What might be a "fast" way of learning?

Griff

Fast way is to get an expert to learn from. I went to a seminar get together with the SFT gang a few yrs ago, the whole trip was good but it was worth it alone to see Chris from Miller sitting at the bench giving demo on a 200 Dyn. Learn more in 45 minutes watching his demo routine than I could have in a month or maybe even ever by simple trial and error. I am still not any good and could care less for the most part but could pick it up and be passable in short order, if I had a real hardon to be a tigger I would get to a class or find someone who really knew to give some coaching.

Default How do you avoid the melted AL from the rod dropping to the floor?

Thanks for the answers. How do you avoid the melted AL from the rod dropping to the floor?
    The machine we have is Tauro, probably not know in Europe or the US. It's a 3000 dollars machine, however it doesn't come with a foot pedal to regulate the amps, just a knob
    I am in Argentina now, where I am from, and there are no TIG AL courses available, only steel and there are full for months + they cost far too much. In this town, there are only 3 guys who use TIG and they can't do it vertically so there is no one to ask.
    I live in the United Kingdom, where I will return in October, but again, the courses cost a lot of money and I am not interested in spending that amounts to become a pro welder, I just want to learn the techniques so I can add up some more skills which I think will help me in my electro-mechanical prototypes making tasks.

Thanks. Regards.

Marcelo
    Last edited by lw3eov; 06-27-2011 at 12:23 AM.