Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: torch rig

Default torch rig

can i lay down my oxygen and acetylene bottles . i dont think i can but thought i would ask anyway

Could you elaborate? Lay them down for transport? use them like that? Mount them on your truck?
    Jeff

I was always told no because the acetylene is corrosive.
    LU 537
    3rd year refrigeration apprentice

The only time my bottles are laying down is when I take them in for refill. It is my understanding, due to how acetylene bottles are constructed, they cannot be used other than standing up or tilted over to a 45 degree angle. If you try to use one laying down, it won't work. Oxygen, being a gas, I have seen them mounted in a horizontal and work just fine. All my bottles, ones being stored, in use in the shop and in use on the service truck are mounted vertical.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Oxygen can be used with the cylinder in any position.

You must only use an acetylene cylinder with the valve vertical. The acetylene is stored in acetone and the acetone will feed through the hose if the cylinder is laid over.

If you transport the cylinder on it's side (assuming it is legal...) you should stand it back up vertical and wait several hours before using it.

Do a google for oxy-acetylene safety and do some reading. Both can be dangerous if not handled properly.

Regards,
    Bill
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

yes i was asking if i could use them that way. i am glad i asked before i went test it out myself lol. thanks for the help

Good thing you did. You would have been seeing a perty blue liquid out of the tip of your torch and buying new regulators. That would stink

Ive had my oxygen on its side on my last truck works great.In the process of doing the same thing on this truck.

the general safty statement is upright for acetalin and no biggy for oxy, as stated above.
    although i have herd that its doable to lay them down due to the amount of acitone in the acetiline i dont think i would want to try it. best to be safe rather than sorry. even though it was a reputable scorce that ok'ed laying then both down i will look for the artical. still i would not do it as i was always told up only for acetaline
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    the general safty statement is upright for acetalin and no biggy for oxy, as stated above.
    although i have herd that its doable to lay them down due to the amount of acitone in the acetiline i dont think i would want to try it. best to be safe rather than sorry. even though it was a reputable scorce that ok'ed laying then both down i will look for the artical. still i would not do it as i was always told up only for acetaline
    IMO, anyone who says using Acetylene in the horizontal position is no longer a reputable source.