Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chalfont,PA
    Posts
    6

    Question help for a beginner

    Hi Guys

    My name is mike and i was just wondering if there any good resources for the amateur Welder besides this forum . thanks and i await your posts

    Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Great resource here.

    www.weldingtipsandtricks.com
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

    Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Medford MA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mschmid5 View Post
    Hi Guys

    My name is mike and i was just wondering if there any good resources for the amateur Welder besides this forum . thanks and i await your posts

    Mike
    Hobart also has a forum:
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Four Flags city
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Click on the resources tab at the top of this page and you will find a wealth of information too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sykesville, PA
    Posts
    126

    Default

    The best resource are the people around you that have been welding for a long time. If your learning just for a hobby i would suggest finding someone that does it everyday and see if they will help you out. Even if it cost you a case of beer. The internet and the text book knowledge of welding can only get you so far. There is nothing better then on the job training. Even welding schools IMO are a joke compared to what you learn on the job or from someone who welds everyday. At least thats the case in my area.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bossier Parish La.
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelias View Post
    The best resource are the people around you that have been welding for a long time. If your learning just for a hobby i would suggest finding someone that does it everyday and see if they will help you out. Even if it cost you a case of beer. The internet and the text book knowledge of welding can only get you so far. There is nothing better then on the job training. Even welding schools IMO are a joke compared to what you learn on the job or from someone who welds everyday. At least thats the case in my area.
    That's one of the best ways for sure, if you can get someone to work with you for a while that knows what they are doing. If 2 hoods are involved he can show you how to do a certain bead, then watch as you try it yourself. This way you get instant feed back input on what your doing wrong or right. A case of beer can be a lot cheaper than all the frustration and aggravation trying to figure it out on your own for the first time.
    If your still looking for on-line sites too, try WeldingWeb.com there are alot of topics to choose from there. From projects, safety, equipment choices, types of cutting methods,etc. They are not affiliated with any particular manufacturer either. There are discusions on all different brands of equipment and welding methods.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chalfont,PA
    Posts
    6

    Thumbs up Thanks !!

    Quote Originally Posted by jelias View Post
    The best resource are the people around you that have been welding for a long time. If your learning just for a hobby i would suggest finding someone that does it everyday and see if they will help you out. Even if it cost you a case of beer. The internet and the text book knowledge of welding can only get you so far. There is nothing better then on the job training. Even welding schools IMO are a joke compared to what you learn on the job or from someone who welds everyday. At least thats the case in my area.
    Well my uncle wich he has 30 years doing welding has been helping me hands-on with his stick welding machine but he works with me and sometimes we are swamped with work so i want to get some other infomation amd maybe get a MIG welder for my personal use . thanks all for your help and will look at the links and the other infomation on the miller site . And i do apprishate the help again!
    Thanks for your help,
    Mike
    Last edited by mschmid5; 06-23-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Adding txt :-)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bronson, Fl
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Mike a great investment in your skill in addition to hands on help is the Miller student pack and the James F Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding. Both will cost you 25.00 each but if you are looking for valid book knowledge to go with your hands on training those are the two books to have as a minimum. When you have a hands on issue or question, the answers will be in one of those sets of books without a doubt.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    25

    Default

    weldingtipsandtricks.com is a great resource and i think he posts a new video every week. believe it or not youtube has a bunch of videos. if your anything like me you'll pick up a lot just by watching. just try to make sure you are watching the videos that are shot through a hood. kind of pointless watching some guy standing there when you can't see what he is welding. another thing that helped me was understanding the lingo. its alot easier to talk to someone about welding when u r speaking their language. and believe it or not try to learn as much as you can about the properties and characteristics of the metals you are working with. ur local library will have all sorts of material on metallurgy and welding to. just some stuff that helped me out man doesnt work for everyone though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chalfont,PA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprentice View Post
    weldingtipsandtricks.com is a great resource and i think he posts a new video every week. believe it or not youtube has a bunch of videos. if your anything like me you'll pick up a lot just by watching. just try to make sure you are watching the videos that are shot through a hood. kind of pointless watching some guy standing there when you can't see what he is welding. another thing that helped me was understanding the lingo. its alot easier to talk to someone about welding when u r speaking their language. and believe it or not try to learn as much as you can about the properties and characteristics of the metals you are working with. ur local library will have all sorts of material on metallurgy and welding to. just some stuff that helped me out man doesnt work for everyone though.

    se i do havw the basics on the different properitys of metals but I could get a refresher. I haved looked thu youtube. i went to the site expertvillage.com and there are some seinor welders but the videos are short and dont show you any actual footage i.e stricking the arc,techinic Ect... so that is why i gave up on videos but i will look up the books that you guys said to get
    thanks again
    Mike

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.