Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller 22 A wire feeder not working well

This wire feeder worked well for a few years but now it is giving trouble...Hooked to a syncrowave 250 and running .035 wire and co2 gas....12 ft Tweco gun (new).
    Has feeding problems even with the gun lead stretched out..Has one grooved roller and one v roller...feeds well if not welding but as soon as you weld it sticks in the tip or sputters...I put an old linde wire feeder on the syncrowave and it works well...My LN 25 works on the syncrowave as well...so I can't see it as a power supply problem...The problem was there before I put the new gun on, so I don't suspect the gun....Any ideas???
    Last edited by bayweld; 06-24-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Bullsh-t, a synch doesn't have the pins for any 115 vac or 24 vac to run your Linde or 22a off its Remote amphenol. Try again....

I'm with Cruizer,

BS on the 22A running on a Sync 250.

BS on the LN 25 running on a Sync 250. (know the LN 25 is VS, but it still performs poorly with a CC machine)
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Geezus...ease up ..I made a mistake ..Shopmaster power supply...WTF is it with you guys??
    Last edited by bayweld; 06-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Check both ends for burrs. Blow it out with air. Try a new tip? If your running solid wire you should use (2) v-groove rollers. If your running dual shield or flux core you run (2) knurled rollers. Clean all your connections. Make sure drive is lined up with rollers & lined up with gun. Check wire spool tension. Try a different roll of wire. Check machine settings.

Just throwing out some suggestions.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

MMW...Thanks for your post..You are correct in thinking that it could be a mechanical, or cleanliness issue...I have run the feeder with both rollers v groove as well as with one knurled....and the roller alignment checks OK..Changed tips several times, no help..tried a different brand roll of wire, New gun and lead, changed grounds, checked the liner etc..No joy....I am wondering about an electrical issue now...I am unfamiliar with the start-run circuitry on the feeder board ...Anyone have any insight as to the electrical operation? Is there a timing circuit that energizes the weld voltage at the correct time as in before or after the wire starts to feed?

Nope, thats a basic feeder, if the rolls turn the feeder is good.

Your slipping, can you spool / curl the wire in the palm of your hand without it slipping?

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Nope, thats a basic feeder, if the rolls turn the feeder is good.

Your slipping, can you spool / curl the wire in the palm of your hand without it slipping?
    Yes...The rolls feed/grip good, I can't stop the wire with my hand.

Well, there is zero reasons for the unit to burn back to the tip then feeder wise. Gas issue perhaps

or likely since your using a knurled drive roller, you may have it toooo tight. Quishing the wire and as the wire heats up, its hitting the tip.