Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Self shielded Flux core

For ever, I've used Dual shielded Flux core wire for big steel. I'll run Triple 7 wire in the MM 251 and use ESAB stuff in the 12 VS. But recently I ran into a place where using a self shielded wire would be great. ie 30 feet off the dirt on a steel purling. Runs of a length that would have been perfect for wire. Ended up doing it with stick but it took SOOOO much time.

Does any of the membership have suggestions for a wire that will handle slightly dirty material? The ESAB wire I use will but it's dual shield. I don't have a lot of experience with seld shielded wires of the .045+ size, but have run a bunch of .035 NR211MP wire in the small red machine.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

How thick was the purlin?

I really only use T-8 wire in .072 but, it does work great on steel thats 1/4'' or thicker, especially if you have a lot of welding to do. Others will probably recommend 211 or 212, I don't have much experience with these wires.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Default SS FC wire

Good to hear from ya RIG.

Kinda kiding about the pulin'. It was a beam! 3/8.

Rarely work with anything more that 1/2. And most of that is AL. That's the exclusive territory of the MM 350 and the Aluma pro.

Thanks.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

I prefer Hobart Fabshield 21B. I run .045 in the field. I have used Lincoln NR212 & NR211 but prefer the Hobart wire.

Remember most innershield wires run DC straight, feeder to negative & ground to positive.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I prefer Hobart Fabshield 21B. I run .045 in the field. I have used Lincoln NR212 & NR211 but prefer the Hobart wire.

Remember most innershield wires run DC straight, feeder to negative & ground to positive.
    I agree with MMW, Hobart Fabshield 21-B over NR 211, have run a bazillion rolls of it in the field with excellent results on logging/heavy equipment, anything over 3/8" & up I always use a slight preheat, just enough to remove the sweat. Whenever possible I prefer to use dual shield fluxcore because of the higher charpy v-notch impact values but it's not always possible under windy outdoor conditions.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Question Hobart Fabshield 21-B wire ?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    I agree with MMW, Hobart Fabshield 21-B over NR 211, have run a bazillion rolls of it in the field with excellent results on logging/heavy equipment, anything over 3/8" & up I always use a slight preheat, just enough to remove the sweat. Whenever possible I prefer to use dual shield fluxcore because of the higher charpy v-notch impact values but it's not always possible under windy outdoor conditions.
    I ordered a roll of the 21-B. I got into a bunch of outdoor effluent plant repairs. Good $, Sh*tty work! Does this wire handle surface rust and mill scale? Or must I scrub it off first?
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by captkipp View Post
    I ordered a roll of the 21-B. I got into a bunch of outdoor effluent plant repairs. Good $, Sh*tty work! Does this wire handle surface rust and mill scale? Or must I scrub it off first?
    It handles a certain amount of rust & scale, if painted or primered heavy we sand it off first. We run .045 constant current electrode negative in Miller & Hobart suitcases.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Cool Hobart wire.

Yep, that's where it's headed. Into my Miller 12VS powered by the TB 302. This is all field work in the breeze and less than 20 feet off the dirt. Thanks a Cr*p load for the help and suggestions. BTW: the LWS is charging almost 7 bucks a pound for this wire here in south FL. Ouch!
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

I'm paying about $4.25 a pound. 33# .045 Hobart 21b.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    Whenever possible I prefer to use dual shield fluxcore because of the higher charpy v-notch impact values but it's not always possible under windy outdoor conditions.

Where are you seeing higher charpys with dual shield over flux core?

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.