Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mini dump bed

Default mini dump bed

I have been toying with the idea of making a mini dump bed for my garden tractor. I have a 3x5 cart with four wheels, that I tow around. I would like it to dump. Instead of hydraulics, I'm thinking 12v scissors Jack. It has the up down controls already. It strong enough to lift a truck up. What do you think? I'm trying to find some plans that would work, if I scaled them down.
    Any input?
    Thanks
    Jim

And que crickets.

cricket cricket

Pictures of the patient would be helpful - let's see the trailer and the jack. Sounds like a good idea to me - would pay careful attention to where forces will show up on the bottom of the trailer.

I didn't get a lot of responses, so i don't know if any one is interested.
    i finished the project, i scrapped the scissor jack idea. i just went with a linear actuator instead. It looks good, but seems to be sort of weak. i went with a warner 600lb. But i would be lucky to dump 150lbs. i don't know if the setup is bad, or maybe the actuator is problem. i bought it on ebay and maybe its not want the seller said. it looked pretty generic, not markings.

Default You are lucky...

...it lifts 150lbs. You created such a long lever arm that you have quite a multiplier on what the cylinder sees as far a load goes...maybe a practicing engineer can give you the correct formula for the load that thing "sees."
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Here is the redesigned dump wagon. I shortened the frame base by 13inches and move the hinges from the back of the wagon to 1/3 up the frame. It seems to have alot more dumping power. Should of paid more attention to the physics the first time around.

Default Good Job

Hey man, that is pretty awesome. Good work on it.

Just throwing in my .02, but would an actuator from an old satelite dish work? I'm sure there's a bunch of those laying around junkyards, I just scrapped a dish not too long ago, and the actuator still worked

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguynick View Post
    Just throwing in my .02, but would an actuator from an old satelite dish work? I'm sure there's a bunch of those laying around junkyards, I just scrapped a dish not too long ago, and the actuator still worked
    I don't know what an actuator for a satelite dish is rated at. I bought that one on ebay.
    It's a warner rated at 600lbs and a 6 inch travel.