Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dialarc 250P AC/DC (circuit breakers)

I read a lots of discussion regarding whether or not to buy an older Dialarc because they are so power hungry and also what size of circuit breaker is needed to run the Dialarc. Dialarcs are great machines and some folks tend to bypass buying them for a smaller machine thinking they don't have the power requirements to run it. They then end up with a smaller machine that has a less stable arc and can only run up to 1/8" rods. I have a Dialarc 250P AC/DC stick machine that I bought new in 1983. Great machine even after 28 years. Mine has power factor correction (PFC) so it draws less amperage than a non PFC model when loaded up. At any rate, I run mine at 230 VAC on a 40 amp breaker. I've never had the machine trip a breaker albeit I never run anything larger than an 1/8" E7018. If the Dialarc doesn't have the PFC most likley a 50 amp breaker would work for burning rods up to 1/8". I would far sooner run an 1/8" rod on a Dialarc than on a small buzzbox type of machine. Just thought I would share this as it may help someone to decide not to pass up that good-ole Dialarc for a smaller less desirable machine.

I'd rather have the Dialarc or Idealarc than a buzzbox, no contest.
    I don't fling my transformer machines over my back and go jogging, so I don't care how much they weigh. Add the Miller 330 series and relatives which Miller made for Airco etc to the "good big single phase transformer machine" list.

While looking for an Idealarc or Dialarc I ended up with a Miller 340 which runs fine off a 50A breaker. I'll eventually hook it to a 100 so I can really crank it up, but no rush. The big fan is a plus, since it ventilates the ISO container the welder lives in! At over 1100lbs it weighs slightly more than the ~360lb Dialarc.

Power consumption isn't an issue unless you weld enough to be making serious money, at which point you just write a check for a new machine. Since it's a welder, mobility shouldn't be an issue. Weld up a cart, solve problem.

I've got a Dialarc 250HF. Run it off a 60 amp 220 breaker. Never had a problem up to about 160 amps.

One thing some talk about is duty cycle. All I know if I don't know what the duty cycle is of the Dialarc because I've never ran into it. Last couple days been repairing a tractor bucket where it is one rod after another as quick as I can get them in the holder. Dialarc never complained.

It's heavy. Put mine on a cart. Turned out to be a waste of time since I never move it. That's what long leads are made for. I've got a stationary stand built for it that it will go in when I get the shop concreted.

A little looking you can find them cheap.

Al
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
    John Deere Equipment
    Paints and Quarterhorses
    Billy Cook Roping Saddle
    Billy Cook Reining Saddle
    Our YouTube Channel

i bought one new from lws 3 yrs ago, i opted for the power factor, it calls for 60 amp breaker, i run it on the 60, never any issues, i did hit the duty cycle once, i was burning 5/32 7018 in the low range, theres plenty of juice for that size rod but the duty cycle is fairly low in the low range, now i flip it to high range if i am planning on using alot of rod. here is a pat on the back for miller, when i got it home, i noticed a small ding on the side, about the size of a dime, barley noticable, but it is a new machine, and i plan on keeping it that way, in 3 to 4 working days, i had a new side panel, the damaged panel is mine to keep, service like that can,t be beat

Default Dialarc On 50A breaker

I had a 2003 vintage black face w/o PFC (geez I miss it, great machine) and ran it on 50A dedicated breaker wired w/#8 copper. I ran a number of tests on it when I got it and I could not trip the breaker up to 265A with an 1/8 in. rod. I used it mostly on DC high and couldn't even get the wiring in the breaker box warm. I think I posted my test results on this forum about 2 years ago.

[QUOTE=Niles;267422... I have a Dialarc 250P AC/DC stick machine that I bought new in 1983. Great machine even after 28 years...[/QUOTE]

I have a 1974 vintage, the first year they were made. It does OK on a 50A circuit without power factor correction. I have a 70A breaker if a heavier project comes up.

USMCPOP, Be careful about running a 70A breaker on a circuit rated for a 50A breaker. That's asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoguy View Post
    USMCPOP, Be careful about running a 70A breaker on a circuit rated for a 50A breaker. That's asking for trouble.
    I have three separate 240V circuits, a 30A, a 50A and a 70A. The 70 is currently hardwired into a Syncrowave 250. The others have outlets and are shared as need arises. These are all about three feet from a 100A breakered sub-panel fed by 2/0 Aluminum.

I miss-read your post. I thought you were saying you would replace a 50A breaker with a 70A on the same circuit. As I've stated in previous posts, I've run my DialArc wide open on a 50A and had no issues. One thing that helps is keeping the input and welding cables to a minimum.