Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The 2X2X1/8 tubing should be plenty stout. Any pattern you have will work OK, with the slight change I mentioned on the first one. The X pattern one would probably be best, as you said "hard to improve on it".
    Those $127.00 hinges are for someone that doesn't know how to weld, or who welds poorly. If you fit the latter description, get someone else to buid the whole gate. You most likely don't fall in that catagory, so build your own in the same design and $ave $ome buck$. Those you showed for that smoker should do the trick, just scale up the dimensions to suit the weight capacity. By the way where are the pix of that smoker you said your working on? That can be a whole other thread right there. How come we're just finding out about it? Not ashamed of it, are you?

No matter which design you settle on I would put a horizontal tube all the way accross halfway between top & bottom. Not for strength but so the boards have something to screw to in the middle to prevent warping.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    By the way where are the pix of that smoker you said your working on? That can be a whole other thread right there. How come we're just finding out about it? Not ashamed of it, are you?
    All in due time, my friend! Haha! I'd like to show it from start to finish. I am in a bind right now trying to get some 1" x 1/8" stainless flat strap. Can't seem to get my hands on any and the local S.S. supplier isn't comfortable with shearing that width because of warpage. Whatever. I'm still on the prowl.

At any rate, thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    ... I would put a horizontal tube all the way accross halfway between top & bottom.
    Thanks for the thought. That's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    Sounds nice. Do you have any pictures you could share?

Here is an "X" design. I think this is the best design. I tried doing something a little different, but this is hard to improve upon, IMO. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

I like the wheel on the very end of the gate so it does not get much attention.
    Go to:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...iw=975&bih=548

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    Sounds nice. Do you have any pictures you could share?

Here is an "X" design. I think this is the best design. I tried doing something a little different, but this is hard to improve upon, IMO. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    Great find! I think I will try to mimic this design. I bough a wheel for $4 during Harbor Freight's sidewalk sale.

you could use my idea for any uneven surface for your wheel.

I built my RV gate with this setup and works great

Holy balls! You could take that bad boy offroad in the Baja 1000! Haha Great design.

I will have to show my wife this thread so she can see firsthand that I am not the only "extremistmaximus" (her words) out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mebuildit View Post
    you could use my idea for any uneven surface for your wheel.

I built my RV gate with this setup and works great
    Not sure the cross strap is needed with the full skin welded to the frame. Nothing to "sag." The wheel makes it even more redundant.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I tried the cross strap to see if it would do anything for lateral suppert. It really doesn't do anything honestly. The gate is 11 1/2 feet wide and I didn't hsve the choice to make two gates due to structure limitations.
    I just went to my local bike shop and asked for a blown out mountain bike shock, since I only needed the spring set up. So $20 bucks later I came out with a Fox shock and a 400# spring. It works perfect!!

My saying was when I was building it was "it's only a gate" don't oer do it.