Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller Blue Star 1E whats it worth? ac/dc?

HI, new here. I'm looking into a Miller Blue Star 1E gen/welder
    sn- hj193939
    I am wondering what they are worth. Has 200ft of leed, runs and works cosmetically rough tho

Iv read where they are ac/dc, just ac, or just dc so i'm not to sure what it is? I couldn't get a great look at it, its buried in the back of my buddies shop. He said $500 and i want to know if that's a fair price. My plan is to put it on a trailer and have a small Mobil welding shop.
    Just wish it had a 220v plug and not just 110v
    Thanks

The price sounds fair enough to me. I bought a new one with the Kohler back in 1975 for just under eight hundred dollars.

They're a/c only but real work horses.

Actually, based on the listed SN, that unit's a DC only weld output.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o423c_mil.pdf

I'd prefer a DC only over an AC only any day.

Depending on the condition of the leads, you could be looking a couple hundred $$ in value there so if it runs good, welds and makes power the asking price is reasonable.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Cool

Great little welder. I used to bring one home from work all the time...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

My bad. I saw the 1E and thought of the Roughneck. My adopted son has a Bluestar and it is dc only.

I guess there's tender spot still in my heart for that old Roughneck 1E, keep in mind, I was in my twenties, life was easy besides being good back then.

Post Miller BlueStar 1E What there worth

I have owned my Miller Blue Star since the early 80' Its been my best welder, and I still have it and use it. I love welding on The Blue Star 1E. I have friends always wanting to buy it and they have offered $1,500 to $1,900. I don't want to sell it.
    I just found a Blue Star 2E and they wanted $2300.
    The big issue is going to be how well it welds and engine, how good of shape its in.

There one of the most portable, tough, powerful gas driven welders, I had used back in the 80's when I bought mine. I've used mine so much, yet I alway cleaned it up, and years ago I was a small engine Machanic , The Kohler K341 single cylinder is in my opinion one of the best small engines they built back then. My Kohler engine has not needed anything, major on the engine, just tune up's, and new battery now and then, and air filters & oil changes. The old beast welds just as great as the day I bought her.

I have a little Linc in the same class, one of my favorite portables too. Some of those were so simple and tuned just right for common stick work. Got to agree that if it runs fair the leads if in any kind of usable shape make this a low risk deal.
    If it works and can be made dependable its a good way to start something small at low overhead. If I was going in that kind of business today I might be tempted to do that and would spend another 800 and get a small Maxstar, pay for itself in fuel, where noise was a concern, general handiness of being able to use customer power especially in general fab work where there may be substantial idle time. Keep from wearing out my little engine machine too.
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-09-2011 at 08:39 AM.