Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

all i can say is that i hate f,n wood, i mumble that all the time when i work with it

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    all i can say is that i hate f,n wood, i mumble that all the time when i work with it
    Thats funny. I f,n hate working with steel. I mumble that when i have to work with it. I LOVE aluminum. No smoke, dirt. cuts and drills like wood. And its welds so clean and easy.

Cool It is more fun when you don't have to do it......

I guess we are never Happy are we............

I work with both as a hobby - not to earn a living, enjoy both but have to say wood is easier to me. It is easier to correct a mistake, which I seem to make a lot of....

I am just happy to able to still be active - 68 and retired for last 6 years. Other than one bad leg and poor hearing life is good!
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    On the other hand, metal is a lot more uniform than wood. With metal, you don't have to worry about grain direction, seasonal movement and cracking caused by humidity changes, etc.

I like both woodworking and metalworking ... they're just different.
    You do with AR400. Try bending it the wrong way it'll crack and break.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

I am really enjoying the learning process with welding. I'm as new and green as they get. I'm a fairly accomplished wood worker and know enough about machine tools and how to use them that I can tackle the projects I would likely do. But, to me, welding is more of an art that is just going to take a lot of practice to master. I can design anything in wood and with math and carefull cutting and joining it will come out exactly as planned regardless of skill with a hammer. But with welding, you still have to have that "skill with your hammer", so to speak.

I started my welding career in 1988 and have always loved welding, not always loved the people or the environment, but I have never gotten tired of trying to make every weld perfect!

My own little quote: Work is for losers that weren't lucky enough to be born rich!!!

Default Good for you man

That great man, it's cool that you get do this as a profession. I am a refueling mechanic now so they try to keep and welding as far away from us as possible for good reason. As a result I spend every spare dollar I have on metal. I do get a bit jealous of guys that get to earn a wage at this. Maybe in my next life after the millitary I will get it right and let someone else buy my metal.

I hear ya mate, its very satisfying.

I don't get to weld as a profession but I do pick up a few odd jobs and I like to volunteer for projects when someone is in need of something metal. Have been thinking of selling some furniture and other random items on the side.

Would love to one day get boilermaker trade papers but even at 25 I found it hard to get an apprenticeship- no time really to do a full time apprenticeship anymore, so I'll keep getting more welding certificates and keep making things out of my own pocket until i can fill in the gaps.

I worked for years in an office admin type job, not even as boring an admin job as they come and compared to physical work, fabricating and actually making something tangible at the end of it, office jobs to me are about as unsatisfying as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
    I am really enjoying the learning process with welding. I'm as new and green as they get. I'm a fairly accomplished wood worker and know enough about machine tools and how to use them that I can tackle the projects I would likely do. But, to me, welding is more of an art that is just going to take a lot of practice to master. I can design anything in wood and with math and carefull cutting and joining it will come out exactly as planned regardless of skill with a hammer. But with welding, you still have to have that "skill with your hammer", so to speak.
    Do not under estimate your skill with wood working. There is more skill to using a hammer than you my think. Ever seen someone swing a hammer that does not do it for a living? I find it funny, and often laugh at my self when i go to nail a board together and miss the nail as many times as i hit it. I am currenety remodeling my house and i could tell you how many times i cussed and wished houses were made of steel. All the trades are considered skilled labor for a reason, when i was younger and knew everything about anything i often laughed and thought how hard could it be. But after my first job as a welder i quikily realized that there is more than meets the eye. Now the older i get the i appreiate the skill involved with almost anything in the trades.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

Quote Originally Posted by jelias View Post
    Do not under estimate your skill with wood working. There is more skill to using a hammer than you my think. Ever seen someone swing a hammer that does not do it for a living? I find it funny, and often laugh at my self when i go to nail a board together and miss the nail as many times as i hit it. I am currenety remodeling my house and i could tell you how many times i cussed and wished houses were made of steel. All the trades are considered skilled labor for a reason, when i was younger and knew everything about anything i often laughed and thought how hard could it be. But after my first job as a welder i quikily realized that there is more than meets the eye. Now the older i get the i appreiate the skill involved with almost anything in the trades.

SOOOOOO true. I taught my boys to swing a hammer last summer when we built my shop together. I didn't realize that it was a learned skill until I saw them trying to put some nails in wood!!!

Each trade has a separate set of skills that you really NEED to do a good job (in addition to many shared skills).