Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default so...i love my job!

i love welding dude lol. im sure some of the older guys prly get tired of it but this stuff is great.

as far as im concerned weldin is a real man's job. its not like wood where you dont have to worry about heat f***ing up your fitup.

id like to see some feedback on this positive or negative idc.

Totally Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by babillis alex View Post
    as far as im concerned weldin is a real man's job. its not like wood where you dont have to worry about heat f***ing up your fitup.
    On the other hand, metal is a lot more uniform than wood. With metal, you don't have to worry about grain direction, seasonal movement and cracking caused by humidity changes, etc.

I like both woodworking and metalworking ... they're just different.

Cool

They both use a glue. One hot and the other cold LOL...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Its all work to me, don't do it unless I have to and my world would fall apart without it.

I do both but really prefer welding - because the material behaves in FAR more predictable ways.

Wood, as an organic, living product throws all sorts of curves at you when you try to build things - knots, grain, splits, warping, cupping, rot, insect attacks…..

Mild steel is so uniform and predictable - I love it. It responds to my work based on formulas and rules in ways that I can only dream of in wood.

That is not to say that I understand all the rules for metal, but that I know that there are rules and can understand enough of them to build things reliably and repeatably.

I am going to guess you are just a young welder just learing by the way you talk about it. It is a skilled trade, some places not so much and some places alot.

But it is not the only skilled trade do not under estimate to difficulty of another trade until you have done it, nine times out of ten there is more than meets the eye, as there is in welding. A carpenter might look at pipe and think o that must be easy. But we all know the amount of skill it takes to make an xray quilty weld on a pipe.

Welding is mostly artwork, in my eye anyway, at least once you get good at the basics. Your always trying to make everything look nicer and nicer after that. Most trades are that way everything from drywallers to masons and tile guys.

As far as it being a real mans job, yes and no. I always thought of welding as easy money. But ive always worked in a shop, where in the field it probably is not nearly as easy. Guess it depends on where your at.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

Haha, I hear ya, man. I was all gung-ho when I started my first welding job here in the shipyard. The older guys all told me, dont worry, it'll wear off. After a little over a year, the excitement of it has lowered, but it's still a constant learning experience. And I personally am more concerned with my welding fitup compared to when I'm working with wood...although, I'm also a pipe welder, we're pickier by nature, lol.

those master japanese carpenters really could care less about fitup.

Default All relative

I enjoy welding as a hobby, but it is not the only real man's job out there. I have all the respect in the world for the different trades, union or not. I landscape and do irrigation, that is both physical, mental, artistic, and technical. We are all trying to do good quality work to make ourselves, and the people we work for happy.