Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cool Car Body Rottiserie Ideas...

This thread might arguably go in the projects slot but since it is motorsports related I decided to place it here....
    I do a fair amount of work on older sports/racing cars... sometimes referred to as "vintage".... although many of type were brand new when I first encountered them..(dating myself)....
    An auto rottiserie is a darned handy thing to have for restoration and for race prepping a shell... will help to eliminate some of the contortionist moves required to work on and weld a shell that sits level...

We have some smart and talented folks here on the forum.. so I figured that I would leave this thread open for examples of what folks have done as well as suggestions and ideas that one might incorporate into a serious DIY version... here are a couple pics of one that I found particularly interesting to kick this off...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by H80N; 02-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Cool

How bout some more pics of that red sled in the background ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    How bout some more pics of that red sled in the background ...Bob
    Sorry Bob... not my sled... ran across those pics quite some time ago and kept them because I really liked the approach that they took in building that rotis-body rotator...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Cool

I have some liking for old sleds as my grandfather and uncle were one of the early pioneers of snowmobiles with the Tee Nee Eskimotor. Artic Cat, Polaris, and Ski Doo were the top 3...Bob
    http://snowridermag.com/encyclopedia...or-snowmobile/
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I have been lucky enough to work with a rottiserie.... at other peoples shops...
    they sure allow you to maintain the quality of work on all angles of a bodyshell without becoming a contortionist.....

makes so much of the underside and corner work a thousand times easier...

am gathering ideas and hope to build one in the next year or so.... a medium sized one that would pick and rotate stuff like a 928, 911, XKE, Spridget etc... not something that would hold a full sized american car... no caddys or lincolns....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Harwood Proformance had some plans online but the attachment size is too big for here.

There was also a guy that did a 26 page booklet on his build. You should be able to find either of those on the Web. I haven't built one yet because I didn't ahve the space to store it. We're moving to a new shop and that's one of the first things, after a two post lift, that we'll get.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Racer View Post
    Harwood Proformance had some plans online but the attachment size is too big for here.

There was also a guy that did a 26 page booklet on his build. You should be able to find either of those on the Web. I haven't built one yet because I didn't ahve the space to store it. We're moving to a new shop and that's one of the first things, after a two post lift, that we'll get.
    dead download links is all I found for the full 30 pages of the Harwood design... but I did find this link to a condensed version... looks like a simple workable no frills design....

http://www.galeforcezephyrs.com/link...nstruction.htm

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up

here is another simple design from the Brit-V8 site....

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Au...Rotisserie.htm

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up Auto Body Dolly Example

Here is a photo of the Body Dolly I built for my 1970 Chevelle. I used 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" X .375 wall and 2" X 2" X .375 wall tubing. These tube sizes easily telescope together for adjustment. The unit is shown in the lowered position, but the vertical components have a tube inside, that will allow an additional 18" of vertical rise. The long horizontal tube will allow adjustement for differing lengths or longer/shorter bodies. The short horizontal tubes at front and rear are also made for wider narrower bodies. I used 5/16" pins to secure the locations. Welded nuts and bolts could also be used.

01-20-2012 024 Compressed.jpg