Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dirt Bike Wheel Truing Jig

I purchased a commercial wheel truing jig some time ago when I was restoring some vintage dirt bikes and it worked great. Recently I had to respoke a modern rear wheel and the jig was too small.
    The wheel needs to be trued so I had to fabricate a truing jig that can handle all wheels.

Today I ordered and picked up all the aluminium sections needed for the job.
    Material including cutting cost $24.00.

I had to lathe and cut a 3/4" UNC thread into the solid round bar.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

I drilled out a 1" hole in the box section to recieve the threaded rod axles.
    So the threaded rod axles line up I clamped it all together while I tacked it.

I am not the best at welding small diameter tube fillet welds so you will all have to cut me some slack on the welds.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Then it was just clamp, wire brush and TIG weld.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

Nice work and pics...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks for the kind words Bob.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I then countersunk some hidden screws to hold the telescopic legs followed by fitting some height adjustable feet.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Then I decided to go fancy with the handle and make a S/S hand wheel.
    I used a bar bender to get two 180 degree 8mm diameter bars.
    If done right they should just about make a perfect circle when cut and welded.
    A hole was drilled into the threaded rod and another 8mm S/S bar was taped into position.
    Then all the hand wheel parts were TIG welded together.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Time for a test.
    The truer can hold a modern rear wheel no problems.
    I gave mine extra depth and width so I can true a wheel even with the tyre still on the rim.
    This is a rear wheel with is 19" diameter while a front wheel is 21" diameter.

Very pleased with the results now I can start truing that wheel so we can be riding again this weekend.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

looks good and you pocketed a lot of cash over buying a new one.

Thumbs up

Nice work!