Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller Bobcat versus Hobart Champion

I am considering a Bobcat 225, or Bobcat 250, or a Hobart Champion 10,000. It will be only for occasional use, split between a backup power source for my home, use for stick welding at the farm occasionally, and also as an occasional power source for my Miller 211.

I really need a backup generator (even though it will be used rarely) so I thought why not get a welder/generator to "kill two birds with one stone". I also like the idea of having repair service/support that could not be available if I buy a generator elsewhere (Like from Northern) plus more predictable re-sale value.

So what are pro/cons of these. I see that the Hobart is cheaper by $500 and also comes with leads. What would the Miller offer that the Hobart doesn't? Which would you buy? Thanks.

The Hobart Champion 10,000 has been replaced by the Champion Elite. The Elite has the same output as the base Bobcat 225.

Differences:
    1. Bobcat 225 has CV output, Champion does not.
    2. Bobcat 225 can be had in LP version, Champion not. LP is better for occasional use, but costs more for the unit and the LP cylinder.
    3. Bobcat 225 can be had with EFI, Champion not. EFI unit has more generator output, 12kW peak, 10.5 kW continuous vs 11kW peak, 9.5 kW continuous, but costs more.
    4. Bobcat 225 can be had with both Kohler and Subaru carburetor engines, Champion Kohler only.

The Champion Elite no longer comes with leads. Hobart offers two extra-cost options on leads, a #4 set with 20' stinger and 15' work clamp (which was standard on the 10K), or a #2 set with two 50' leads. If you buy leads off a spool from your LWS, it will cost the same for either machine.

Either one will do the job you describe. I was considering a Champion 10,000 a couple years ago, but when I ran across a really good deal on a slightly used Bobcat 250, I went for the 'Cat.
    Last edited by GilaSlim; 05-25-2011 at 04:52 PM.

If you ever want to sell it, the Miller has much better brand recognition and will generally always command a better return on investment.
    IMO just having the Blue paint is worth the difference in price.
    Another more serious way to look at it is this......just exactly what in the world would you have to chop out to make a machine have the same output and cost $500 less??
    It would seem to me when you are cutting corners like that then there would HAVE to be a loss of quality on several components.
    Not sure if the Hobart has the skewed rotor or not but that looks like a great feature on the Bobber.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I bought my Bobcat in 2007 for the same reasons you stated, and back then the differences were obvious. I would still buy the Bobcat today or maybe even a Trailblazer.

CV output is a must for me ...well worth the money..

For this customer it wont matter, either will work. He will never be able to wear them out and yes, the blue has a pinch better resale,,, but it cost more up front so that point is about moot.
    If you ever want to sell it, the Miller has much better brand recognition and will generally always command a better return on investment.
    I had tractor salesman try to sell me on this point. There is no return on investment for resale unless you bought it used below value. Like I said to the tractor man,,, let me get this straight,,, you want me to spend 10k more today in hopes that 10 yrs from now I will get 5 more if I sell it? Snapon tool is in this class, see them like new that go for half the new sale price, sure they bring more than a set of craftsman but you paid 10X, seen Craftsman bring the same money they were bought for and seen china end wrenches sell at auction for the same they could have been bought new for. Resale value is salesman talk for,,, you are paying more for it.
    Last edited by Sberry; 05-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.

I never understood the "Resale" value line of thought either.

For me I figger by the time I sell anything gonna be so old it don't matter, unless somehow it becomes a collectors item, not much ROI.

Although see quite a few ads on CL with people listing machines at List price

"paid XXXX 2 years ago."

yeah well I can buy one new for XXXX.00 Why would I buy a used machine for almost new.?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

For the price, you can't beat the champ/Elite, good machine with the venerable kohler engine. Its a Miller designed machine put out by Hobart

Default I would get...

...the EFI...worth every penny for things that don't get consistent use or do.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I'd go propane for backup use. There is good reason forklifts etc aren't using gasoline engines much anymore.

Modern gasoline is horrid and turns to watery varnish when it sits. Though STA-BIL is wonderful stuff if I buy a new small engine drive it'll be LP.