Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Jets?

What did you use for jets? Did you just drill a hole in the tubing?
    I have never had good luck with jets before without a lot of trial and error concerning airflow. Flames burn out due to lack of O2.
    Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    What did you use for jets? Did you just drill a hole in the tubing?
    I have never had good luck with jets before without a lot of trial and error concerning airflow. Flames burn out due to lack of O2.
    Thanks for the post.
    Drilling holes in pipe works very well, IF you are using good quality stainless steel. The mild steel tends to corrode and the hole either elongates or plugs up. If you are going with the latter, then a drilled brass orifice would be best.

In terms of airflow, on my design I used those short vertical tubes mounted to the horizontal pipe. The vertical tubes have plenty of airflow from the bottom. That directs the flame, shields it from wind, and creates a Venturi type suction from the bottom that pulls oxygen in to fuel the flame. For example, if I place the burner down in a dirt area and turn on the gas, leaves and debris are sucked up from the bottom and blown out of the top of the tubes without even lighting the flame!

Good luck. Let me know if you having other questions.

Lindley

Would you please post pictures of the finished burner. Also some pictures and details of the actual burner would help a great deal.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Would you please post pictures of the finished burner. Also some pictures and details of the actual burner would help a great deal.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    That is the finished burner.