Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A good hood for cheap?

Can anyone suggest a good Mig welding hood at a really good price? Thanks!

u want auto or old style flip front?
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

oh sorry i should have mentioned a auto darking hood.

the miller ones are good for the price but i like the speed glass 3m helmets.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

Exclamation

Don't take chances with your eyes spend the money and get a good one. I like the jackson hoods you only get one pair of eyes

go to ur local welding store and see what they have. try them on and talk to them about ur options, its the best way. buying online is ok but sometimes u dont get what u pay for. u are still looking at least spending $180 and up for a decent one.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

I have a speed glass and I wouldn't use anything else, definetly worth the extra money. Alot of people go with the Harbor frieight $50 and don't have any problems, but I spent the money over three years ago for the speed glass and it's paid for itself more than once over.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
    Don't take chances with your eyes spend the money and get a good one. I like the jackson hoods you only get one pair of eyes
    A cheap hood is going to protect yer eyes just as good. The clear state protects UV anyway.

A set of safety glasses also protects yer eyes from UV.

The price difference is about comfort and options.

I have a HF Hood and an Optrel

The one thing I have read about the HF hoods and say a 130.00 Miller or Hobart hood is the clarity through the lens.

Miller sells helmets that range from 69.00 (Non AD) and 109.00
    for their entry level AD hood up to 329.00 for the Elite

I'm pretty sure the 69.00 hood protects just as good as their 329.00 hood

the Harbor frieight $50 and don't have any problems,
    Aye!!

so far anyways. I even got that there warranty, 9 bucks for 2 years

my first project was a hand rail for my front steps. I did a decent job thanks to my MM180. the hood performed well, however as a young whippersnapper I used to stick weld and got arc burn several times....Man!!!
    that's some kinda of hurting you never forget, so I feel I should mention this.I'm still a noob so I may not have had the setting right but,
    after working on the rail, that night my eyes felt kinna weird. I thought damm!! that F'nn hood didn't work, Imma be in a world of hurt tonight.

I'm happy to say tho, no arc burn , slept like a baby.is it possible that maybe the cheap ones allow some arc heat to still get past the lense? maybe thats one of the differences between a 50 dollar job and a 180 dollar one, I don't know
    traded the MM180 in for a MM212
    lots room here for more machines like, a Plasma cutter oooohh yeah!
    tinkerer with many talents,master of none