Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller Elite Digital Hood and Cheater Lens?

I have a miller elite digital welding shield and find myself needing to use a cheater lens. The Manuel boasts of convinute magnifying lens holder. the problem I'm having is due to the cheater lens mount being too narrow for the lens I've found and it mounts the lens .125' or so from the inside cover lens, .125 gap between, allowing condensation/fogging between cheater and inside cover lens. Is there a cheater lens designed for this helmet? thanks.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
    Miller MM 212
    Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

I will never understand why people call call them cheater lenses. I think they should be called helper lenses. Anyway Miller does make helper lenses (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ccessories.pdf).

I have only welded in dry locations and am usually calm, cool and collected, but it seems to me that I have noticed a little condensation on occasion. I do like my helmet a great deal. When I first purchased it it seemed awfully flimsy to me, but it is holding together well, and I like the light weight.
    Last edited by smfcpacfp; 05-16-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Mine mounts a plastic cheater nicely. Not sure if it can accommodate a glass lens (haven't tried).
    I don't get any more problems with it than I do with my Fibermetal Tigerhood.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I've been using a digital elite for about 2 years now with Miller's plastic cheater lens in it. I use an anti-fog from the drug store that's intended for eye glasses. It seems to work pretty good, but I think it's mostly just glycerin.

Other than needing to remove the lens to clean both it and the inside face of the auto-dark lens and then re-apply the anti-fog I haven't needed to do any maintenance to it. Your cheater lens must not be the one that is supposed to be used with the digital elite.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Default Cheaters

When I bought the Digital Elite I ordered the "cheater" made for the helmet. I get no condensation and the lens is easy to install and remove. Makes cleaning a snap. Don't use a towel on the lens, get something real soft, otherwise you will scratch the lens and have to replace it, just like I had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockshot View Post
    When I bought the Digital Elite I ordered the "cheater" made for the helmet. I get no condensation and the lens is easy to install and remove. Makes cleaning a snap. Don't use a towel on the lens, get something real soft, otherwise you will scratch the lens and have to replace it, just like I had to do.
    Did you order the cheater from the WS or over the net. I'm looking for a source to order the correct lens. Thanks
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller MM 212
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
    I've been using a digital elite for about 2 years now with Miller's plastic cheater lens in it. I use an anti-fog from the drug store that's intended for eye glasses. It seems to work pretty good, but I think it's mostly just glycerin.

Other than needing to remove the lens to clean both it and the inside face of the auto-dark lens and then re-apply the anti-fog I haven't needed to do any maintenance to it. Your cheater lens must not be the one that is supposed to be used with the digital elite.

Charley
    Yep, you nailed it.....The reason for this thread. I'm trying to find information on the correct cheater and where to purchase.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller MM 212
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

I just use a normal glass cheater with plastic frame in mine for the past year and a half or so. It`s a little snug to get in but it never moves Glass seems to last longer than plastic for me cause they don`t get scratched up.Tried a Miller brand the first time but since they cost more and don`t fill the oversize window, I didn`t buy any more of them. What is the sense of making the large window and only supplying small cheaters that don`t allow you to take advantage of the window size?! Sounds like some brain wave an engineer would come up with

I have a Miller elite Have been using plastic Cheaters Lenses But every time I raise my helmet I have to put my glasses on So readjusted headgear forward now I can use my wearing cheaters

Default Best "Cheaters"

I've used these for years:

They are better than the inserts in your hood cause you still have safety glasses on when you flip your hood up and you can still see clearly. They are very comfortable, durable and offer great protection. I can't recommend them highly enough.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..