Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question How's Plasma Cutter's performance on cutting rusty mild steel plate??

I'm planing to buy plasma cutter but need to know how its performance on rusty mild steel because I'll do much cutting on rusty mild steel/marine plate.
    Thank you guys in advance for your 2cents.

Default in one word it is usually sh*tty

If you are cutting Mild steel that is rusty you could expect fairly poor performance. Dependant on what brand of machine you buy you may run into tremendous problems, The thickness of any rust will seriously affect the Quality of cut. usually heavy dross or a very erratic arc will have direct affects on how quality of a cut you can make. How thick of material do you intend to cut? for some thicknesses the oxy acetylene is still best and the most forgiving for scale covered plate. I have honestly had the best luck with less than clean plate using the thermadyne brand of plasmas. Just my .02 cents. Is there any way you could easily clean your cut areas, such as sandblasting etc?
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

I find that, If you have a good clean (really clean) ground clamp area near the cut area. And a fairly clean starting of the cut area. Other than adjusting the travel speed(slower) and cutting power (higher) the biggest mistake people make is placing the ground clamp on the drop away piece of metal!.
    make sure it is on the side of the metal that remains.
    Since it will ground along the total length of the remaining side of the cut, not just the part that gets smaller as the cut gets larger.
    Cleaner is better but at least removing loose dirt, crud and heavy loose rust is better.
    It will save time over all, but that has been my experience.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

What is the specific work you are doing?

Most things you can reach with a plasma cutter you can reach with a cup-shaped wire brush mounted on an angle or end grinder to knock off the loose stuff.

If you are scrapping, I'd use an oxy-propane scrapping torch since it's less hassle than plasma cutter-plus-air-compressor, but you can certainly scrap with one:

http://www.vannattabros.com/shop.html

Most scrap metal places are using Plasmas to chop up thier scrap, usually T-dyne 101's

Most scrap metal places are using Plasmas to chop up thier scrap, usually T-dyne 101's
    I wonder if that's a regional thing?

i work with old rusty reclaimed metal and had a hyperthem powermax45 and it cut just about any condition metal so long as i had a good ground.
    '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
    '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
    Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS
    6x6 Enco corner notcher
    Weldsale fixture table 3x5
    Acorn Welding Platen 5x8