Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electric Catamaran conversion

Hay guys .. been a while since i have been here .
    I have been working on two boat projects .

built a mini pontoon a few years back for our small no gas motor lake .. had som plastic chairs on it ..but they had to go .. I bought a pipe bender from harbor freight to play with and things got started .

I also bought the parts to build and convert a peddle powered catamaran to elect drive .
    If it dosent have a motor i dont want it .. lol

the catamaran is almost done .. still needs a luggage rack on the back for coolers and and such .
    the original unit had 2 peddle drive systems on the front and with them removed there was no place to put your feet or stand ,

here are some pics of both

enjoy Don

Nice!!!
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Stupendous !
    Are these floating devices for fishing ?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

yes the intent may be to fish .. or chase girls around the lake .. lol

I just like to think out side the box sometimes .

It needs the umbrella or palm tree. Right?

Default shade

Some type of retractable sun shade might make a nice addition to the aluminum rig. It could be incorporated into the "luggage rack" you mentioned for the beverage cooler. That might be welcome if you've spent too many days in the sun and "Red Skin Syndrome" has set in but you still want to get out on the water. You may want to look into adding a solar battery charging system too. Northern Tools has some, this may keep you from having to remember to charge the battery after every use, and also make your battery live longer.(fewer replacements)
    Last edited by Bistineau; 05-14-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: addtional thought

I started working on the luggage rack .. need to find a bakini top from a boat thet will fit it .

I like the idea of a solar charger ..good idea
    thanks Don

You should be able to fabricate the frame for the top your self, then have an upholstery shop or awning company make the covering material to fit it. This may be better than trying to find one to fit such a small craft. No telling how long you may have to search to find something close to fitting since most boats with that kind of top are much wider. Hoping to find something close, may still need modifying to work and would still be a comprimise to what you actually like. An upholstery shop or awning shop could give you a choice in colors or patterns in the coverings as well. An awning co. may be able to make suggestions on how to build the frame if you check with them first. Some of them have experience making covers for boats. Cutting and bending the tubing and making mounting brackets should be pretty simple to do(after seeing what you did building those motorcycle trailers, nice work on those too). Hope this helps get you what you want sooner.

Default Let There B Shade

Check out this site for some ideas:

http://www.riversombrero.com/collections/all-products
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

don,t forget to leave some room for the pink flamingos