Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default burned threw glove with tig filler

i Just bought a new syncrowave 200 and im teachig my self how to tig weld. the other day i got a little to close to the tungston with the filler and it froze together. but then i got what i think was an electrical burn on my thumb that was holding the filler rod. it didnt make a mark on the gloves but made a pin hole mark on my thumb and burned like crazy..... also im getting a lot of white smoke when i tig weld... i know im not saposed to get any smoke at all so any ideas? im using unimix could that be the problem?

What's unimix? Is that the shielding gas? Is it designed for MIG welding?

unimix is 75% co2 and 35% argon.... the co2 is for penetration and argon is for sheilding.

isn't 100% argon the only gas supposed to be used for TIG? Hence the name tugsten INERT gas. But there are certain applications that a mixed gas can be used hence the name GTAW ?

i thought so to but i was told by the dealer i bought the syncrowave 200 that i can use unimix for everything but aluminum. so my thoughs are that unimix works but pure argon is better

Default Get Rid of the Unimix!!

Pure argon only, unless your going to get into the crazy helium mixes {mainly for aluminum**. Co2 is for mig welders, not tig welders. I don't mean this to sound harsh, if it's comming off that way. You will be happier with pure argon. One more thing; Watch out for the filler rod!!! i had some thing like that happen, though it fell out of my hand and went right thru my green welding coat,thru my shirt and about 1/2 into my stomach fat { it smelled like chicken , lol** .

Quote Originally Posted by blackplague
    Pure argon only, unless your going to get into the crazy helium mixes {mainly for aluminum**. Co2 is for mig welders, not tig welders. I don't mean this to sound harsh, if it's comming off that way. You will be happier with pure argon. One more thing; Watch out for the filler rod!!! i had some thing like that happen, though it fell out of my hand and went right thru my green welding coat,thru my shirt and about 1/2 into my stomach fat { it smelled like chicken , lol** .
    see thats what i dont understand about the filler... how did it burn my thumb but not the glove? i thought it was an electical burn. so yoru saying its just a heat burn? I have unimix doe my millermatic 185. i planed on getting a bottle of pure argon but the dealer said i would be ok with unimix as long as i wasnt doing aluminum.. but i wil get a bottle of argon this week. is the co2 the cause for the white smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeir
    see thats what i dont understand about the filler... how did it burn my thumb but not the glove? i thought it was an electical burn. so yoru saying its just a heat burn? I have unimix doe my millermatic 185. i planed on getting a bottle of pure argon but the dealer said i would be ok with unimix as long as i wasnt doing aluminum.. but i wil get a bottle of argon this week. is the co2 the cause for the white smoke?
    You aren't welding on galvanized metal are you? if so that would be the white smoke ... bad stuff zinc fumes, do not breath it. If no, then I don't know what it might be, but I do agree with others that 100% argon is the way to go for tig, unless you need He added for the extra heat. Oh yeah, if unimix is 75/35 then there is an extra 10% in there somewhere. I only use C25 (75 argon/25 Co2) for mig.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown
    You aren't welding on galvanized metal are you? if so that would be the white smoke ... bad stuff zinc fumes, do not breath it. If no, then I don't know what it might be, but I do agree with others that 100% argon is the way to go for tig, unless you need He added for the extra heat. Oh yeah, if unimix is 75/35 then there is an extra 10% in there somewhere. I only use C25 (75 argon/25 Co2) for mig.
    lol I think i had a typo.. unimix is 75/25 NOT 35...

Get some pure argon. That will do almost all TIG welding. Use a helium mix when welding aluminum at the top end of your machine's output. NEVER use a CO2 mix when TIG welding.

Leather welding gloves can take a lot more heat than your finger, even without showing a burn mark.

Try it again with the right gas and get back to us.