Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Welder Repair shop seeking qualified factory service techs.

I am wondering if anybody out there is looking for a good paying job with benefits repairing welding units. Miller and Lincoln training would be beneficial. Central Alberta, Canada is where we are located. Reply to the thread if you or someone you know may be interested. Engine drive experience would be great as well. Cruiser where are you? Any electricians who love electronics may like this field of work.

I wish you were south, but oh well.

Good Luck,

HAWK

Any electricians who love electronics may like this field of work
    Really? I wouldnt let an electrician wire a plug on the end of a welder, let alone work on one.

Quote Originally Posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
    Really? I wouldnt let an electrician wire a plug on the end of a welder, let alone work on one.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
    I pretty much feel the same. Or at least see your point.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Pretty tough getting techs, from anywhere. the only reason several exist here is that I run them untill they can locate a suitable technician. Tough getting into the trade anyways. as warranty doesn't pay well, Lincoln pays in Credits, and Miller doesn't come close to posted labour rates, even with passing the CST exam.

If you don't have acess to the distributors like Praxair, Linde, ect, for sales of remotes and cables, then your kinda hooped as well.

And honestly I would not trust a Electrician to do Electronics. there is a big diffence as Electronics you really have to think about what your doing. I've hired them before, and found that a monkey with a hammer would have been a better choice.
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-15-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Now, wait a minute. I work on security electronics everyday, that I must be able to repair cause they call me back to work on other stuff. I have a masters card, but then again I only got it so I could pull permits. there are some pretty worthless masters. So really Cruiser, If a guy wanted to get into repairing welders for a career where would you tell him to start and where would be a good situation after that? If you dont mind what was the path that you followed. I have some high schoolers looking for careers.....
    [B]Trail Blazer 302
    Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Coolmate 4
    Millermatic 175
    Millermatic 251
    HT Powermax 180
    Victor O/A
    DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
    Lathe
    Milling Machine
    Bandsaw
    No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

Default Why are we so down on electricians?

While I will admit that electronics repair and electrical installation work are two completely different animals, why the animosity towards electricians? I was a Marine Corps avionics tech and have been an electrician for 23 years. The people that I work with are professionals, although they may not be factory welder techs, to suggest that we cannot put a plug on a welding machine is a little extreme. You must work with some real shoemakers in your area if that is the case.

By the way, after reading some of the posts made here regarding the wiring of machines and electrical theories in general, well, people in glass houses........
    Last edited by emlupi; 05-16-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Default Sad but true...

Quote Originally Posted by emlupi View Post
    While I will admit that electronics repair and electrical installation work are two completely different animals, why the animosity towards electricians? I was a Marine Corps avionics tech and have been an electrician for 23 years. The people that I work with are professionals, although they may not be factory welder techs, to suggest that we cannot put a plug on a welding machine is a little extreme. You must work with some real shoemakers in your area if that is the case.

By the way, after reading some of the posts made here regarding the wiring of machines and electrical theories in general, well, people in glass houses........
    I think it is a stereotypical situation we are talking about. In my experience most electricians have problems with reading schematics. It's hard to work with a guy that can't differentiate a 100k pot from a 100uf cap. If you can't do that, how are you going to trace a board? I know card carrying pedigreed electricians that really don't understand the basics of neutrals and grounds. If they did, they couldn't vocalize it.

Please understand I have worked with a few electricians that have my utmost respect for their knowledge and abilities. Then there are the rest. I guess it's true in all fields today, blue and white collar, welders included. Sad but true...

My thoughts,

HAWK
    Last edited by HAWK; 05-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Default I was just kidding

My experience with electricians is about the same as Hawks. Good, bad indifferent. I was just kidding anyway. Luckily the ones I deal with daily are outstandingly good but just like anything else, trust but verify. Although I have done what they do, and am licensed to do it, I prefer not to. I would rather stick to my weenie wires.
    [B]Trail Blazer 302
    Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Coolmate 4
    Millermatic 175
    Millermatic 251
    HT Powermax 180
    Victor O/A
    DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
    Lathe
    Milling Machine
    Bandsaw
    No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]