Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gate Project

Threaded View

Default Gate Project

I've been Jonesing to break out the welding station again and tick off the neighbors with the grinders. So I got to work on the semi-privacy gates between my house and my neighbors. When I bought the place, there was only chainlink fencing. That stuff is an abomination in my opinion. So I got a load of tubing and got started.

My design is a frame of 2" tubing. Originally, that tubing was 11 gauge. That idea quickly changed to 16 gauge. I like using 4" for posts too even though that's probably overkill. It just looks cool.

Since I like incorporating wood and metal together in my projects, I decided to use angle iron for mounting some finished cedar with carriage bolts.

I also thought if you were going to make something that looks like a few thousand bucks, why use that cheesy Stanley gate hardware? My hinges are barrel hinges that are a double design so that the gate fully opens, but I had to connect them to keep them from acting independently. The door locks are mortised storm door locks.

They function like someone who knows what they are doing made them. I don't know what went wrong. Ha! I'm happy with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made