Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Gord,
    The internal and external sides of the square tube are perfect.
    The key was to smooth and grease the dies.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

I made the square tube base just a little larger on purpose.
    When bending tube unless you have a CNC bender the tube stretches slightly and that makes it just about impossible to get the exact size shape you require. By making the base 10mm larger that means all the vertical uprights will be at a slight angle in my case 5 degs. If I had tried to match the round ring top with the base and got it just slightly wrong one or two of my uprights would be on an angle and that would look terrable.

I find the art of clamping items to be welded more of an art than others give credit.

Two uprights tacked onto the base, it is now starting to look like something.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi Jigantor
    Always great to look at your tradesmanship. Very professional.
    Keep posting I really enjoy watching your posts.
    Cheers Daniel

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for the kind words mate.
    Will post again soon.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Clamp, wire brush and weld.
    This is an industrial item so I am not going to sand and polish this, in fact I am not even going to clean off my fabrication marks.
    I may want to attach a few more things to aid in changing a dirt bike tyre but it is now ready to start changing tyres.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Why would you need a "tire changer" for a dirt bike?
    All you need is two tire spoons. Takes 5 minutes.

Well Donald,
    Dirt bike wheels have bearings that need to be protected from dirt and sand.
    This tyre changer suspends the wheel above all of that while I work the tyre levers.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default That is what I was thinking...

...and keeps the grease off the carpet in the trailer...nice project, I just had to change the tube on the front of my CRF450X over the weekend...Pinch flat. Then I proceeded to spit myself off the back after the repair and now "my right wheel" needs repair...OUCH.

Hi Doughboyracer,
    You normally get a good run of no flats and then you get 3 in a row.
    Rocks, flat landings and underinflated tyres seem to be the big killers of tubes.
    Uses are tube repair or replacement, tyre change to get better grip, and on top of all that is rim and spoke service.
    A tyre changer is a handy tool.
    I have a commercial one that is made of steel.
    It is heavey and large.
    My ali one is light weight and takes up 1/3 the space in the pick up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi Doughboyracer,
    You normally get a good run of no flats and then you get 3 in a row.
    Rocks, flat landings and underinflated tyres seem to be the big killers of tubes.
    Uses are tube repair or replacement, tyre change to get better grip, and on top of all that is rim and spoke service.
    A tyre changer is a handy tool.
    I have a commercial one that is made of steel.
    It is heavey and large.
    My ali one is light weight and takes up 1/3 the space in the pick up.

Ji
    So for the uninformed of us that don't do this but are curious, do you make these to fit on the rim (same diameter) or on the spokes at the rim so that the wheel won't slide off the stand when levering? is there hold downs? perhaps you could put a rim on as if changing snap a pic to show us non-dirt guys how this works? thanks