Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bending A Tube A Full 360 Degrees

I am currently making a portable dirt bike tyre changer. Unfortunately I need a tube ring to support the wheel.
    I have rung around but no engineering works in Brisbane can do this job so I decided to do it myself.
    I have a bender but it will only bend a tube to a 150mm diameter and I need it to be 400mm.
    I did some maths and determined how many bends and at what angles to achive my goal.
    This is my first attemp at this engineering problem.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

I Veed the joint and TIG welded the tube.
    To finish any tube welding you have to drill a small hole somewhere so the expanding gases can escape otherwise you will be trying to close that weld all day.

Finished job.
    Very pleased with the result.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

As usual, great work Ji. The ring looks great. Can you elaborate on the first picture you posted? How exactly did you prep. the tube?

Gord

Hi Gord,
    Sure.
    All I did was draw a straight line along its length and marked the positions where the bends had to be made.
    There were 24 bends at 15 degrees which equals 360 degrees.
    The start and end points are determined by the diameter you require.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I bent this 3/4" ali tube with a standard hand operated tube bender.
    The dies are cast iron and rough so I sanded them smooth before use.
    This not only prevents the rough surface from scratching the ali tube it also makes it easier to get the die to release the tube after the bend.
    To help release always grease the dies before bending.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

With the same bender I bent this 3/4" square tube to well a square shape.
    This will be the base for a dirt bike tyre changer.
    The top ring tube supports the spokes so the tyre can be removed and installed.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi Ji, great looking bends on the square tubing, nice job! You showed only the top view of the bends, I am curious how the inside and outside curves look. Did the metal collapse at all? Keep posting the progress.

Gord

I respect the man that can do metal working in Crocs much more than the man that simply wears Crocs. Well done.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

Default As usual

Jigantor,

I follow most of your threads and have become a fan of your work. Nice job! As usual the project is well thought out yielding impressive results. I like the way you think.

As usual,

HAWK

Thanks Hawk,

Keep well mate.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it