Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stick Weld

Hybrid View

Default Stick Weld

I know that you can can use a stick welder with a tig machine, but can i use a tig gun in my stick machine if it has ac/dc curents.

is this tig gun a tig TORCH? if it is infact a tig TORCH yes u can. the power source will work for tig, remember that u have to hook the torch up to the negative lead unless u have a selector switch. as for the ac on ur machine u will use that for alum. but will have a **** of a time with out a high feq. box. also go get a bottle of argon.

what is the machine that u are wanting to use??
    what are u looking at welding???
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

I did indeed mean a TIG torch. I was thinking of buy a Lincoln AC/225. will a tig torck just weld alluminum with an ac current or should I think about buying a Lncoln AC/DC 225/125? Im probably not gonna weld anything over 1/4 thick, mostly steel maby some alluminum.

Default Aluminum

You need high frequency to weld aluminum. The thinner, the more critical. For 1/4", you definitely need high frequency. Good luck.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

what machine would you sugest for high frequency welding but my budget is probably someware between $500-$600. does that work for a high frequency machine.
    Thanks
    Reed

Default High freq

I paid 3 bills just for the (old, used) freq box to add high frequency to the welder I already have. It was a good deal at that. To purchase a new inverter machine, you can plan on dropping 2 grand on the machine and another grand on the extras to get started. Good luck.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

for a few $100's more than your budget you may be able to get into a ryland. heard good things about them but never tryed one.
    keep in mind if the welder was not made to TIG weld it will likely burn up if used to do so.
    just because some thing will do some thing, dose not mean it should. i believe Andy said it would burn up the transformer. best to just save up and buy the tool you need for the job.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES