Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Gord,
    The pro wheel builders here do weld up cracked rims.
    They don't guarantee the repair mainly due to risk but also because the end result is silver ali not gold or what ever the rim colour was.
    Also I think if another crack appears somewhere else the client wants that repaired for free.

I agree with you I have seen some awesome cracked rims and guys still jumping on them.
    The spokes really do an great job.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I finally was able to get the light right for the attached image.
    I used a belt sander with a very course grit to reduce the bead. I then used some 240 wet and dry to level the surface.
    I get lazy so this could be like a mirror but whats the point the rest of the rim is all scratch up.
    You can see the different grain direction from the weld to the base material.
    I think rims are made from series 7000 ali.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Ride that puppy. It looks good, thanks for the link that is a neat catalog. I still can't see the shipping being that much to make it not worth looking here in the States for some of your needs. I sell on e-bay sometimes and although it may take a little longer the shipping prices are not bad for most items that are regular in size.
    Keep her in the powerband and ride!

Hi mx,
    Check out that web site you posted they even state the postage cost for oversized goods will be more and to contact them first for a quote.
    I have imported bike engines from the States and they have costed $300.00US with UPS.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

You may be right I was just going by some stuff I have shipped over seas and it didn't seem all that bad. I always use the USPS though. Also I'm not sure that a bear rim would be considered over sized. The box it would come in wouldn't be much more than 24" square and 5" high but I have never shipped a rim over there. If you could get the rim in a box that sized and I figured 5 lbs for the weight, the package should not be much over $45.00 US to you. But then again I'm not the shipper so I can't say what they might try to charge. I'm not trying to give you a hard time I was just trying to give a fellow roost slinger a heads up on where you might be able to get a little better bang for your buck. But hey, now that it's all welded up what does it matter? lol

Hi mx,
    Thanks for all your help.
    Our next ride is next weekend so that should be a good test.

Yesterday and today been freeing up seized spoke nipples on a friends bike.
    When I started they were all locked. I have now removed, cleaned, greased and installed 16 of the 32.
    8 are still seized, while there is another 8 yet to try.
    Very time consuming.
    Half the spokes are rattling in the rim which lead to a flat spot and the welded joint in the rim cracking badly. Once all the spokes are free and usable again I will press the buckle out and try and weld up the cracks.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Mioght have a look at Thumper Talk and go to the retail parts store. Excell rims are pretty cheap, I have a YZ 250 2 stroke and it likes to crack rims and tear up hubs, you can get em with or without a spoke kit. They are about as cheap as anybody and ship world wide. Definately less than you were quoted in the original posts.
    Bob

Just use steel rims from now on. End of story.

BTW you don't buy those $1500.00 dollar exhaust systems too do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi mx,
    Thanks for all your help.
    Our next ride is next weekend so that should be a good test.

Yesterday and today been freeing up seized spoke nipples on a friends bike.
    When I started they were all locked. I have now removed, cleaned, greased and installed 16 of the 32.
    8 are still seized, while there is another 8 yet to try.
    Very time consuming.
    Half the spokes are rattling in the rim which lead to a flat spot and the welded joint in the rim cracking badly. Once all the spokes are free and usable again I will press the buckle out and try and weld up the cracks.

Ji
    It is a lot faster and better to just cut all the spokes with a bolt cutter and put in new spokes and nipples. Saves money and time.

Hi Rbeckett,
    Thanks for the link

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it